Best things to come out of comedy from this decade Page 2

Quote: Wheel @ 2nd February 2018, 10:51 PM

For me they don't live up to the standards of things from the 1970s like Porridge as an example. Is it because PC is more a thing nowadays, than it used to be I don't know? I know a lot of stuff back then, you cannot get away with now, Love Thy Neighbour as an example.

For the most part you can get away with more now, the chief exception being white people saying the N-word, which I think is fair enough. If you look at the sitcoms and sketch shows of the last 15 years or so, there's more comedy than ever involving stereotypes because people are learning the nuances between using race, gender etc to make a point, and being a crank.

In something like It Ain't Half Hot Mum, or even to an extent Mind Your Language, the issue is the lack of nuance more often than the jokes. Not to mention they're not exactly the pinnacle of comedy anyway.

The biggest issue with comedy in recent memory is that a lot of people just don't know what's there, despite not having seen a ton of comedy I've introduced a lot of things to my family and friends that they ended up really liking, but likely wouldn't have known about otherwise.

While I'm a fan of modern styles, and programmes like Mum, they don't seem to build the same community as older styles. Part of the problem of course is comedy is in so many different forms now compared to what it used to be, if you watch something now you may not be getting the full picture of what's going on in comedy atm and be turned off.

Peep Show.

Quote: behminztur @ 24th March 2018, 4:21 PM

The biggest issue with comedy in recent memory is that a lot of people just don't know what's there, despite not having seen a ton of comedy I've introduced a lot of things to my family and friends that they ended up really liking, but likely wouldn't have known about otherwise.

While I'm a fan of modern styles, and programmes like Mum, they don't seem to build the same community as older styles. Part of the problem of course is comedy is in so many different forms now compared to what it used to be, if you watch something now you may not be getting the full picture of what's going on in comedy atm and be turned off.

The main problem is the plethora of channels that one has to check to establish what's on. People, myself included, have neither the time nor the inclination to plough through the listings of over 100 channels. When there were only two or three that wasn't a problem.