Help me pop my BCG Cherry

Hi,

I am new, hence the possibly inappropriate title of this thread. I cannot find any forum rules, that is perhaps the first thing I need some help with. If this thread is the slightly fumbley first kiss then providing me with the rules of the forum is where you advise me awkwardly but kindly that I don't need to stick my tongue down your throat.

Anyway, I am here for inspiration and support and hopefully some help in developing skills as a writer. If anyone wants to take me in hand and help me progress towards the glorious climax of actually getting something written that is half good then I am ready and willing.

Also I just wanted to say hi,

Samtiff

Hi! Welcome aboard!

What are you writing? I'm usually up for reading over things people write and providing feedback if you want it. As log as it's not novel-length.

What sort of comedy do you most enjoy?/

At the moment I am working on a workplace based sitcom because drawing on experience is my starting point. It is really really early days but when I have something remotely not bloody awful and with some decent content I will take you up on that.

What comedy do I like... blimey ...I will stick with TV and am an 80s and 90s child so Blackadder, Young Ones, Friends, Seinfed and on and on. Then more recent Peep Show, The IT Crowd, Outnumbered etc but I also love radio comedy like Clare in the Community.

Actually if I start on this topic I might go on all night so I am holding back.....

No need to hold back. It's intetesting to hear about. What are you doing in your workplace sitcom to make it fresh and new? What is the workplace? When you do have something you want read, do send it my way (my email address is in my profile). I have vague aspirations to write a sitcom pilot someday, but so far that's only taken the form or researching how to write a sitcom properly. Have you checked out all the Sitcom Mission stuff and the Sitcom Geeks podcast here on bcg? There are going to be some exciting new things on bcg coming up in the coming months especially for aspiring writers so stay tuned for that!

I like your inspiration list. The only show I can't seem to like on that list is IT Crowd which by its cast and creators alone I should by all rights love, but I've watched it through twice and just still can't seem to get what the fuss is about. Maybe in a few years I'll give it a third try...maybe.

Anyhow, welcome aboard. Feel free to search for and revive old threads on things you're excited about or want to chat about and don't be afraid to start new threads if there aren't any in the backlogs. We could always use some fresh discussion topics!