I need to stop doing this when watching TV...

Using my phone waaaay too much, I've recently noticed. I feel like I have so many apps (WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, news, etc.) that I glance at when watching TV or movies. But I generally only do it when there is not to much happening on the screen! Does anyone else do this?

Yes. There's only a few programmes I'll watch without my phone (or laptop). And even then it's right there with me to help get me through the ad breaks.

It's an awful habit, I've tried to actively stop doing lately. I just face my phone downwards to not see any flashing notifications. It seems to be working most of the time :/

I'm doing it now. Also eating my dinner. I remember living with a mate years ago who would always be on their laptop or texting someone (before smartphones) when we were watching a movie. Used to really irritate me. Probably wouldn't even notice now......I'd be to busy doing the same.

For f**k's sake people, turn the f**king things off!! Dear oh dear, anyone would think it was important...........how sad.

It's a sad generation, Herc.

I recall we got our fun with sticks and bits of cardboard that we found.

"Sticks and bits of cardboard"??...............luxury!! Gravel was all we had to play with (when we weren't playing with each other that is)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th November 2016, 11:17 AM

For f**k's sake people, turn the f**king things off!! Dear oh dear, anyone would think it was important...........how sad.

Maybe they should make better tv and movies.
National Treasure that was on recently was good- I watched them all without using a second screen.

No more or less important than the TV we're missing to look at it!

Before the distraction of mobile phones:

It will be good when mobile phones and social media technology is implanted. Then the people who are into that stuff will just be able to get on with it internally and interminably and we won't need to be bothered with them.

I saw a young lady press the button at some pedestrian crossing lights while she was doing something on her phone the other day. The lights turned red to stop the traffic, the green man appeared to allow her to cross, the green man disappeared and the traffic was sent on its way. And she was still standing there fiddling with her phone unaware that any of this had happened...

Haha, I think that's funny though :) I always get distracted by memes and GIFs... if she ain't in a rush, then no matter.

I started googling this second screen phenomenon and came across this interesting article about how people are using it now. https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/second-screen-for-online-advertising/ Especially useful for marketing purposes!

Harmless enough while watching TV.Not when walking around a city full of trams though.As so many deceased persons in Melbourne have discovered and alas too late.

Quote: Lee @ 28th November 2016, 1:03 PM

Before the distraction of mobile phones:

I have this book. It was a wonderful TV series.

It's almost as bad as having your laptop on too.