What's the Fringe really like?

For those of you who have been, what is the Edinburgh Fringe Festival really like? Especially for anyone who doesn't have a huge budget to work with.

I live in the US, but one of my biggest dreams is to make it to a Fringe Festival sometime before I die. But, I don't know anyone who's ever been, and I've only been to one small comedy festival in my life (In Portland, Oregon, USA, which was one of the most fun weekends I've ever had!), so I have no idea what it would actually be like.

How do you figure out which shows to go to?
How far in advance do you have to get tickets?
Is it possible to make friends with other festival goers like they do in the US, or do people not really mingle with strangers? (On a pathetic, and related note, does anyone want to be my friend? Wow I sound desperate. Too late, my backspace key is broken.)

Anyone have any comedy festival stories, Fringe or otherwise?

[I apologize if this is a topic that's been discussed a million times. I'm a n00b, and an American. Two things which I'm guessing count against me here.]

Amazing. You have to go. More on that later when I have chance to reply in more detail.

Imagine a sixth form putting on a weird production. Now imagine two million of them.

Hi,

I went for the first time a few years ago. I always wanted to, so thought, fk it, I'm going. I've been back every year since, and I'll be back their next Sunday all being well.

It is very expensive mind, so get your accommodation booked well in advance where possible. Last year, I stopped in a 'EasyHotel' which contained a bed a little smaller than the room itself, and it cost about £50 per night. Previous years, I've commuted into Dunfermiline (an hour away by bus). Whilst much cheaper on accommodation (even taking into consideration the bus fares), it left me tired and not able to see late night shows.

For shows, yes, you do get plenty of students, and wannabe comedians, but you get so much more. Loads of free shows (though they often ask for donations), and loads of atmosphere as you walk up and down the streets with shows or previews happening in all daylight hours.

Shows - https://www.edfringe.com/ .. download the catalogue. Something will catch your eye. Otherwise walk up and down the Royal Mile and have leaflet / flyer thrust into your hand. Take a gamble. Some shows are excellent, some downright crap. See what happens.

For the chargeable shows, if they haven't sold out, get the tickets right up to kick off. Last year, I got a Mitch Benn ticket about 5 minutes before it started.

If you are an outgoing person, I'm sure you can easily make friends. I suppose it's even easier if you stop in a hostel. PM me if you want more details.

Stories. Once I got stuck in the most awful show. Less than 10 people in audience. I got stuck in and couldn't escape. It was only an hour to sit through.

The Excellent.... Seeing something very similar to Whose Line Is It Anyway? (with the REAL host, Clive Anderson - none of this Drew Carey senescence).

The bloody good. It became an accidental tradition to see Phil Jupitus. One year I was queueing up for some show he was in, and he gave me a flyer for his own stand up show and said "there you go Dude". Nothing much but made my day. Ahh, the small things.

PM for more.

T

Ooh, have fun! I'd love to hear report back about any interesting experiences you have at this year's festival. Though feel free to PM for that.

I've gotten the sense from reading various now-famous comedians books that the whole less-than-ten people in the crowd at a Fringe shows phenomenon is all too common. I guess you kind of have to expect that with 2000 or so shows out there. Though I wonder, is it more of a rule than an exception or an exception rather than the rule? That's a drag that you got stuck in such a horror show, yourself. But it's only an hour, so...could be worse.

Is it difficult to find a hostel to stay in? I have no idea what the pricing is like for a hostel either, we don't really have them here. But it sounds like a good time. Kind of like living in dormitories in college or something.

I'm glad to hear, as a broke person, that there are plenty of free shows. Though I'd probably feel inclined to make donations as long as they didn't put on a horrible show.

I'd imagine if I went I would go through the show listings and get tickets to as many definitely-good shows as I could afford and then just spend the rest of the time chancing it at whatever whoever I would meet there recommends at the time. I can be pretty outgoing if I'm in a setting where everyone's there for roughly the same reason, i.e. being a fan of something. I wish I had UK comedy friends. ...Might actually have to go to the UK to manage that, but there's always the internet. Anyone want an American friend? No? Of course not. Nevermind.

Cool that you met Phil Jupitus! That would make my day, to be sure.

Thanks for the info, all. Feel free to share more stories/experiences.