Sketch shows

Does anyone else bemoan the `good old days` of the wonderful tv sketch shows such as Not the Nine O Clock News, Alas Smith and Jones and of course, Naked Video, two of which shows I managed to break into back in the cretaceous period.Where are the opportunities now-they seem to be entirely on the rad, which I find notoriously difficult to break into,having tried Bearded Ladies, and Watsons Wind-ups without success. I have a brilliant idea for a themed sketch show but dont know where to pitch it.
Last submissions were to the Treason show, but boy are they strict, they reckon they have 200 writers or something.They are very helpful inasmuch as they do try to coach you especially with the spoof song lyrics which are the guts of the show.THE SPECTACLE online mag didnt use any of our material,that is Christine`s and myself, although the spoof headlines in the new edition are quite funny.I`m still trying to think up a couple of sketches for the Sketch factor re, the perils of communication overload.I love writing sketches, but as I said, who wants them?
Also, has anyone scored with Marchmont films-we have some script synopses entered with their latest script submission.
Anyone out there managed to break thru the kevlar-lined 16 foot concrete and titanium perimeter defence of the Writers room,and the biggie I can`t figure out is why a couple of Welsh writers cannot,at least at the moment, get a result from the BBC Wales Comedy Unit-(do they mean us?)

steve voyce

I could have written this myself, Steve. I feel exactly the same as you. Having gatecrashed so many shows in the late nineties - early noughties, including Rory Bremner, I now find that I can hear doors slamming even if I think about writing comedy for TV or radio.
Even though my writing partner and I had a sit-com pilot on Radio Wales a while back, it doesn't cut an ice with them. Once it's been broadcast, you go back to the end of the queue. It makes me wonder what hold people like Boyd Clack have on the beeb in Llandaff!