Why do you like your favourite sitcom?

If you had to boil it down to one thing, then what is it about your favourite sitcom/s that makes you like it/them?

EDIT And what/which sitcom/s is/are it/they?

Nostalgia.

Laughter. That is all I require. I don't need pious messages or moralistic teachings. I have no morals and I am not about to start having any.

And what/which sitcom/s is/are it/they?

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd March 2016, 6:08 AM GMT

Nogget, I can't say. I don't know. From, Fawlty Towers to Father Ted and The Inbetweeners. The Simpsons and Family Guy, League of Gents.

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd March 2016, 6:08 AM GMT

Yeah. It changes regularly from Red Dwarf to Bottom to Blackadder to Only Fools And Horses.

There is also Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Men Behaving Badly, The Mighty Boosh, I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, One Foot In The Grave, Black Books and The IT Crowd to consider for contention also.

Quote: Woozie @ 22nd March 2016, 8:01 AM GMT

Yeah. It changes regularly from Red Dwarf to Bottom to Blackadder to Only Fools And Horses.

There is also Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, One Foot In The Grave, Black Books and The IT Crowd to consider for contention also.

I don't understand how you can cite nostalgia as your reason for liking them, surely you liked them for non-nostalgic reasons originally?

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd March 2016, 9:01 AM GMT

I don't understand how you can cite nostalgia as your reason for liking them, surely you liked them for non-nostalgic reasons originally?

I think when you get to a certain age Nostalgia kicks in..ffs I'm looking up Harry Worth..what is happening to me..

Mostly escapism/laughter I think. Also when I watch them, they make me happy/cheer me up- in the same way that some people say the feel when listening to their favourite music.

My favourites in no particular order would be: The Young Ones, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Bottom, Outnumbered, The Mighty Boosh and This Is Jinsy . Not sure if the last two are technically sitcoms or not.

I think something like Toast might also be about nostalgia. It's the ridiculous character too, someone who has walked right out of a Lynx voiceover.

There was a peak viewing time where I would watch the aforementioned sitcoms on a loop again and again as a child and a teen. Now, when I recall these shows or re-watch them; Not only am I still laughing but it reminds me of the time I would watch these shows religiously and of a time when I was happier. Also, they encapsulate a generation so they cannot help but make references that somewhat date them leading to nostalgia in that way also.

The writing and the characters. Obviously it helps if it is also very funny but for many of my favourites like Only Fools, Porridge, Reginald Perrin, The Office, Detectorists etc. it is the characters that keep me coming back to them.

Fantastic British comedy that you don't get nowadays.

Quote: Nick @ 22nd March 2016, 10:49 PM GMT

The writing and the characters...it is the characters that keep me coming back to them.

Exactly this.

So what is it about those particular characters you like?

I'm interested in specific, personal opinions here; so, maybe you like Fawlty Towers because of Cleese's virtuoso performance, or Modern Family for the farce; or it could be you enjoy a feelgood factor or the pace, or something no-one else seems to appreciate.