I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,734

Conservatives are reducing maximum benefits from 27k to 23k.
Evil swines. No 2nd holidays, no latest phones and fish and chips every day is out of the window.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32688067

A wild boar was found roaming about a shopping mall in Hong Kong. It was hunting for Thornton's truffles.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th May 2015, 7:16 AM BST

Conservatives are reducing maximum benefits from 27k to 23k.
Evil swines. No 2nd holidays, no latest phones and fish and chips every day is out of the window.

And they'll have to cut down on their six-pack and fags.
:(

Quote: Oldrocker @ 12th May 2015, 12:55 AM BST

To me, all this crap about abolishing human rights is generated by stories in the right wing press under headlines like 'Multiple rapist Can't Be Deported Because Of His Human Rights.' And 'Family Claim £400,00 in Benefits But Can't Be Deported.'

I don't know the figures but I would think that cases like this must represent under 1% of cases brought under HR legislation.

Yes, much of this is about tabloids stoking outrage.

But it also has something to do with the strange setup that is the ECHR.
Clearly it requires reform. Integrating Human Rights into English law was supposed to make exposure to the erratic Strasbourg court less likely, but as with everything concerning the government of Anthony 'WMD' Blair, it was half baked.

However, we must accept that the reputation of English law has deteriorated substantially over past decades. Knee jerk legislation, ill thought out laws and libel tourism have left their mark. Several countries (including the US) have even passed legislation protecting their companies from London libel tourism.
(and clearly it is the latter which is the golden goose for lawyers, Horse, not human rights law) ;)

We may keep telling ourselves how marvellous we are, but we are no longer the gold standard in matters of law. Hence a little European Human Rights may not be that bad a thing. If only to mediate the local insanity at times.

Anyhow, let's see what Govie dreams up. I don't hold out much hope that it will be anything sensible. But who knows, perhaps he won't screw this one up.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 12th May 2015, 9:53 PM BST

Anyhow, let's see what Govie dreams up. I don't hold out much hope that it will be anything sensible. But who knows, perhaps he won't screw this one up.

Gove should've been allowed to sort out the abortion of our education system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-32721856

A man who was caught driving with both his legs in plaster has been jailed. In his defence, he told the judge he was driving a car with dual-crutch control.

Saw some twat driving a monster Chelsea Tractor the other day in flip-flops. >_<

Corr! That Prince Charles is a right....person with an opinion on some issues, who seems to have had no influence on politics whatsoever.

What a bloody fuss,
Typical Guardian.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th May 2015, 12:17 PM BST

Corr! That Prince Charles is a right....person with an opinion on some issues, who seems to have had no influence on politics whatsoever.

What a bloody fuss,
Typical Guardian.

I tore up one of his letters once. It was in green ink and several pages long. Everybody was fretting when it arrived. "Oh my God, it's Prince Charles, it's Prince Charles, what on earth are we going to say to him and what is the protocol and we must get this right or else". I was normally very professional at answering every letter but they all completely did my head in. So in the end I just thought sod it.

The Scottish National party would be prepared to push ahead with a second independence referendum without David Cameron's permission if the prime minister refuses any future demand to hold one, a senior party source in Westminster has indicated.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/14/snp-prepared-overrule-cameron-second-independence-referendum-scotland

Until they get the result they want? They are becoming very tiresome.

How about we build a huge canal from Gretna to Berwick and we push them off towards the Arctic Circle.............we can attach Northern Ireland to it while we are at it.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th May 2015, 10:14 PM BST

I tore up one of his letters once. It was in green ink and several pages long. Everybody was fretting when it arrived. "Oh my God, it's Prince Charles, it's Prince Charles, what on earth are we going to say to him and what is the protocol and we must get this right or else". I was normally very professional at answering every letter but they all completely did my head in. So in the end I just thought sod it.

Probably the right protocol, HR.

Quote: Nogget @ 15th May 2015, 10:02 AM BST

The Scottish National party would be prepared to push ahead with a second independence referendum without David Cameron's permission if the prime minister refuses any future demand to hold one, a senior party source in Westminster has indicated.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/14/snp-prepared-overrule-cameron-second-independence-referendum-scotland

Sod 'em! Let them go - along with Europe. Then we could tow the rest of Great Britain somewhere closer to our Antipodean allies.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th May 2015, 4:51 PM BST

Sod 'em! Let them go -

But who are 'they'? It's not the majority of Scots voters, they decided against leaving the Union last year. I'm no Tory, but I'm glad we didn't get a Labour/SNP coalition, if that's their attitude. It's no wonder the SNP are sometimes compared to fascists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32610097

Scientists are using a smartphone to test people's blood for parasites. The research looks promising, but the software still has a few bugs.