I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,730

F**king insane......after 1300 years absence? Reintroduce the lynx.

Dr Paul O'Donoghue, who advises the trust, told The Sunday Times: "The lynx is one of the most enigmatic, beautiful cats on the planet. The British countryside is dying, and lynx will bring it back to life."

He was on'telly this morning talking a load of bollocks, how our woods and forests are being destroyed by deer and this is the answer. No it isn't - then cull them and sell the meat if you have to.

So jaunts into the woods with young children or pet dogs are going to be a lot of fun.

I saw something about that this morning. Apparently they're very shy and won't come near people or dogs. There's never been an incident of them attacking a person.

Plus they're effing cute. Go Lynx!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th April 2015, 11:47 AM BST

So jaunts into the woods with young children or pet dogs are going to be a lot of fun.

That part of the 'reintroduction of killers' never gets discussed much. While I'm pretty sure there's much more danger on the road, or from domestic dogs, than from any number of lynx and wolves, I'm equally sure the kids will be terrified, and refuse to go into wild areas.

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2015, 11:55 AM BST

I saw something about that this morning. Apparently they're very shy and won't come near people or dogs. There's never been an incident of them attacking a person.

Plus they're effing cute. Go Lynx!

Lovely looking animal no doubt, but do you seriously think they would distinguish between deer or other "prey". Would you go into the woods with a beloved pet and be quite happy to? I know I wouldn't.

Kids love cute kitties.

People in this country are totally unused to biggish wild animals though. Would be totally surreal to think there were big cats or wolves or anything in the forests.

All we really have to contend with is squirrels.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th April 2015, 12:02 PM BST

Lovely looking animal no doubt, but do you seriously think they would distinguish between deer or other "prey". Would you go into the woods with a beloved pet and be quite happy to? I know I wouldn't.

I tend to believe the experts rather than coming up with my own suppositions based on zilch knowledge of the species.

I know some of those experts are the ones who want them put back in the wild and are biased. But if enough of them say that lynx keep away from people and dogs I'm probably going to believe them.

Dogs are barky and loud and obnoxious, unlike deer. I'd keep away from them too.

And your point?

What's next......bears? Cute cuddly teddy bears. "If you go down to the woods today, your sure of a big surprise............"

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2015, 12:05 PM BST

Kids love cute kitties.

People in this country are totally unused to biggish wild animals though. Would be totally surreal to think there were big cats or wolves or anything in the forests.

All we really have to contend with is squirrels.

I tend to believe the experts rather than coming up with my own suppositions based on zilch knowledge of the species.

I know some of those experts are the ones who want them put back in the wild and are biased. But if enough of them say that lynx keep away from people I'm probably going to believe them.

Dogs are barky and loud and obnoxious, unlike deer. I'd keep away from them too.

So be it. :(

No experts have said bears don't attack people. So, obviously not relevant to the discussion.

OK, fair point, but you would accept some expert saying that the lynx would categorically not attack a child or dog?

I also understand that local farmers are concerned for their livestock of sheep and pigs etc.

I do understand why you might worry about that, but, not to be flippant, dogs attack kids weekly. Apparently no report has ever been made of a lynx attacking a human.

I think there are much more likely attacks to be worried about than lynx!

Look we British Catholics, rely on the reintroduction of dangerous animals as a means of population control. What next, get the Pope to re-introduce contraception, like that's going to happen !

Anyway, wild linx is the only way working class people can afford fur coats. Do you want cold poor people ? That's not very nice is it ? I'm sorry but it had to be said.

The Wolves should keep down the number of wild Lynxes.

I don't think a lynx would be such a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAx-NP4T9CY

Quote: Chappers @ 27th April 2015, 1:25 PM BST

I don't think a lynx would be such a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAx-NP4T9CY

Oh dear..........I thought we would get through this without that, but no, someone had to bring it up. Bad boy Chappers, you are better than that - George probably but not you. Angry

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2015, 12:19 PM BST

Apparently no report has ever been made of a lynx attacking a human.

http://www.keyt.com/news/woman-attacked-by-bobcat-while-eating-lunch/28377576

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2015, 12:19 PM BST

I do understand why you might worry about that, but, not to be flippant, dogs attack kids weekly. Apparently no report has ever been made of a lynx attacking a human.

I think there are much more likely attacks to be worried about than lynx!

Whatever, I don't think we need another predator in this country. Dr Paul O'Donoghue was saying on the news this lunch time that the British public were fully behind him on this.....oh yeah? When was that survey taken? This is the first I have heard on the reintroduction.

If there are too many deer, then have a cull.

With the risk, however small, and the loss of livestock it does not make sense to me.

Quote: DaButt @ 27th April 2015, 3:48 PM BST

http://www.keyt.com/news/woman-attacked-by-bobcat-while-eating-lunch/28377576

Thank you DeButt............

Julia Di Sieno, the co-founder of the Animal Rescue Team in Santa Ynez, said she had never heard of a bobcat attacking a person in California. She said the animals usually have to be provoked and that people who come in contact should make noise and make themselves look large.

Well, she has now. >_<