New series!

I call it Strange Conclusions, and it's inspired by the old Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy skits on Saturday Night Live. I always enjoyed those ;)

I have a couple up so far, here is one called "Bad Habits" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR8fziTc1n0

Let me know what you think, and subscribe for more videos if you like it ;)

Another episode is up ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMazR7y415A

Would love to hear some thoughts on this silly skit. I have about 6 of them now!

Quote: Stern Laughs @ 30th March 2015, 1:13 PM BST

Another episode is up ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMazR7y415A

Would love to hear some thoughts on this silly skit. I have about 6 of them now!

"Ask me what to do next?"

Please, put your efforts into something other than these videos. Not an ounce of humour in them, and that's being polite.

Best of luck in the future.

That's my outro lol. Thanks for your opinion.

I quite like the odd style. when you are trying something new it's ok for it not to work every time (or for everyone).

I would suggest the non sequitur element needs to be funnier or smarter, but that is me not you wanting that.

I would keep mining this seam and see if you can unearth the odd nugget...

Regards

Playfull

There is something very very odd about your videos and that is not a bad thing they certainly are different, I like the voice it's confident and weirdly hypnotic. Keep at it you have something but not sure what it is.

Quote: Nick81 @ 30th March 2015, 1:50 PM BST

"Ask me what to do next?"

Not an ounce of humour in them, and that's being polite.

Same here I'm afraid.

BTW, we don't have SNL in this country.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone ;) I do realize that British humour is quite different than North American. And I am strange even for a North American lol. Not sure I fit on any continent really.

Here's the latest episode, Mondays at 8am! Or whenever I wake up. There's 7 episodes now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPt_PdtUgB8

Bloody brilliant, Stern. More please.

Quote: Stern Laughs @ 6th April 2015, 12:21 PM BST

Thanks for your thoughts everyone ;) I do realize that British humour is quite different than North American. And I am strange even for a North American lol. Not sure I fit on any continent really.

Here's the latest episode, Mondays at 8am! Or whenever I wake up. There's 7 episodes now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPt_PdtUgB8

Funnies funny, sorry there's been Swiss, Turkish and even Canadian writers who've been the funniest people here.

You're not funny, you're knowingly weird.

It's just not funny.

And thinking of excuses why people don't find you funny never works.

Quote: sootyj @ 6th April 2015, 8:22 PM BST

Funnies funny, sorry there's been Swiss, Turkish and even Canadian writers who've been the funniest people here.

It's just not funny.

I agree with Sootyl. Lolrandom is not enough.

I will say "And click the thumbs down if you hate kittens" is funny but you say it in a lot of your videos. Say other things e.g. "And click the thumbs down if you support genocide" (maybe not the best example but you get the idea). Switch it up a bit.

Quote: sootyj @ 6th April 2015, 8:22 PM BST

It's just not funny.

I was just responding to the guy saying this was a British forums.

Quote: Yacob Wingnut @ 7th April 2015, 12:08 PM BST

I agree with Sootyl. Lolrandom is not enough.

I will say "And click the thumbs down if you hate kittens" is funny but you say it in a lot of your videos. Say other things e.g. "And click the thumbs down if you support genocide" (maybe not the best example but you get the idea). Switch it up a bit.

That's just my outro, it plays on all the videos and it's main purpose is just to ask people to subscribe, comment and share the video if they liked it. It's for new viewers. I imagine my old viewers get sick of it, and just turn the video off at the point in which the main content is finished anyways. In my opinion it's better than just a simple "please comment, rate and subscribe" that a lot of people do. It's like an extra video ;)

If I may make an observation not directly related to the humour - your outro is longer than some of your content. As a viewer, I understand why people have the 'subscribe and comment!' bit at the end of videos but it feels like an ad, I don't particularly enjoy it. So when your video is more ad than content it's kind of annoying. Is it possible to shorten that part down? Or alternatively, join several of your jokes into one longer video then your outro won't seem so much like overkill.

I actually quite like these. They're not laugh out loud funny, but they have something about them and I think with some development and perhaps pushing past the initial ideas to find things that are even more surreal/silly you will be onto something. That said, I'm not sure I'd bother checking back to find more of your vids because they are so short. I want more than 20 seconds of entertainment for my efforts.

I think these would be really awesome as a little break/segue between longer sketches or animations. They don't seem like enough to stand on their own but I could imagine them being a quirky thing you come to be known for if they were included in something else.

Quote: Jenni @ 10th April 2015, 11:16 AM BST

If I may make an observation not directly related to the humour - your outro is longer than some of your content. As a viewer, I understand why people have the 'subscribe and comment!' bit at the end of videos but it feels like an ad, I don't particularly enjoy it. So when your video is more ad than content it's kind of annoying. Is it possible to shorten that part down? Or alternatively, join several of your jokes into one longer video then your outro won't seem so much like overkill.

I actually quite like these. They're not laugh out loud funny, but they have something about them and I think with some development and perhaps pushing past the initial ideas to find things that are even more surreal/silly you will be onto something. That said, I'm not sure I'd bother checking back to find more of your vids because they are so short. I want more than 20 seconds of entertainment for my efforts.

I think these would be really awesome as a little break/segue between longer sketches or animations. They don't seem like enough to stand on their own but I could imagine them being a quirky thing you come to be known for if they were included in something else.

Thanks Jenni! I will definitely work on the outro, making it much shorter. Seems to be a common complaint. So far, all of these are just old Facebook status updates lol. I will work on some better ones in the future for sure. I just figured it's better to start now, than to wait till it's perfect. Thanks for the advice!

Quote: Bella Sassin @ 12th April 2015, 3:48 PM BST

Hi Stern Laughs,

I like your Strange Conclusions videos the best. I can see how you were inspired by Deep Thoughts. They have a strange and hypnotic quality to them, slightly unnerving. They didn't make me laugh out loud but they did intrigue me. Perhaps you could develop the script a bit more.

I agree with Jenni's comments about your outro being too long and sometimes overshadowing the content of the video. It feels a bit smarmy. I also agree with the comment that these videos could be awesome as a little break between longer sketches or animations. They have a kind of refreshing effect on my brain. After watching one I could be better primed for something fast-paced or punchier. A nice interlude.

Bella

Thanks Bella! Good tips, similar to Jenni above. I agree, I will make a new shorter outro. I'll also come up with new material, as these are just old Facebook status updates I thought were funny ;) I have a strange sense of humour though lol.

I would drop any into or outro all together, if people are going to comment or subscribe they will without it. The shorter the better for the type of content you have.