Potentially risky character

I posted my sitcom pilot episode a while back, and since have developed a new character. Bernard is Max's (one of the central characters) father. He is emotionally unstable, and after his wife left him for a black gentleman suffered a mental breakdown. The result is a middle class man of good background applying shoe polish to his face and diving in and out of 'street talk' badly, with poor attempts to identify himself with the black community. The source of humour I hope, is the contrast between his two personas. There is no racism intended and in the script it is made explicit that he is in the wrong- other characters condemn and belittle him. Meanwhile his emotional issue is equally explicitly stated.
So what I guess I want to know is, is this too far? Is it racist? I personally deplore racism and don't believe it is. However, that is me. Others may. I decided to post the idea here for honest feedback.

Many Thanks,

Pug.

It would depend on the script.
I don't recall the original sitcom - but it's 'world' would need to be hyper-surreal for his behaviour to be even faintly believable.

I'd say that sounds like both a good character and an excuse to ditch your script really quickly.

So I'd be cautious no one can get away with blacking up in comedy these days.

That said; he's not racist he's mental is frying pan and fire territory.

I'd say a middle aged guy obsessed with black culture, rapping badly calling his cleaning lady a scrubber hoe could be fun.

And maybe he blacks up occaisonally as a sort of punchline.

Right, all taken on board. I think the logical thing to do would be to show a bit of script with him in it. Lazzard, the world is rather surreal- the summary of this episode is one of the protagonists becoming a mud wrestler, his instructor being man who is permanently covered in mud to the point where you can't make his features out, no matter what the situation. He is then kidnapped etc etc. (only on fist draft haha)

Gary enters the flat, locks the door and heads to the lounge carrying a shopping bag

Gary (muttering)

F**king Max, idiot, f**king mud wrestling- who even does-

Gary enters the lounge when the light turns on and dramatically a figure rises from the sofa and spins round, facing Gary. It is Max's father, Bernard- a man who unevenly applies shoe polish to his face so that he appears like a black gentleman (in his opinion). He speaks what he dubs the language of the streets using his middle class accent.

Bernard

Graham.

Gary

Jesus Christ, Bernard!

Bernard

You can call me Bernard, homeslice.

Gary

I did just call you Bernard.

Bernard

You said Jesus Christ.

Gary

I said, Jesus Christ...

Gary pauses

Bernard

Exactl-

Gary

Bernard.

Bernard

Oh.

Gary winces at the site of Bernard

Gary

Anyway what are you doing sitting in the dark? Furthermore in the place that I live?

Bernard

I'm looking for Max. Truth.

Gary switches the light on and off a few times

Gary

You two playing hide and seek?

Bernard

Nah Garth son, word on the street is he got a sweet job interview, know what I'm saying?

Gary

I don't actually, often, for that matter, but I try my best. Bernard, drop the whole street talk thing or whatever, please, for a moment. Have you arranged a job interview for Max?

Bernard (quickly, bashful)

I have, yes.

Gary

Okay, that's great, just let me write down the details and I'll pass on the
message.

Bernard

Okay, let me tell you them dates and times and times and dates.

Gary shoots Bernard a glare

Bernard

Sorry. Have you got a pen ready?

Gary scrambles for a pen as the door bursts open, Max frantically runs into the lounge smiling

Max

Oh shit, hi dad.

Bernard

What's kicking?

Max recoils a little

Max

Um, yeah. Anyway, guys I have decided to quit my job to become a professional mud wrestler!

Gary pulls a face while Bernard fist pumps and hollers

Gary (frustrated)

You don't have a f**king job!

Bernard

Follow the beats near your sternum, and if mud wrestling gets them burnin', then it'll surely get you earnin'.

Gary and Max look at him quizzically

Gary

I really want to scowl at you but that was surprisingly okay.

Max

Yeah, like does it just come to you, or-

Bernard

I actually did a crash course at the community centre in free styling, and when I got your job interview sorted-

Max raises an eyebrow

Bernard cont.

Which is now completely irrelevant-

Max nods in relief

Bernard cont.

I penned it in the car on the way here.

Gary

Lot less impressive now.

Max nods in agreement

Max

Bit sad, really.

Gary

And hold on, what do you mean irrelevant? Max needs this opportunity!

Bernard

Well, Garfield, now that Max has found a steady, well-paying job as a mud wrestler, if anything I think when faced with the civil service, he's over qualified!

Bernard and Max do a little nod at each other.

Gary stands up

Gary (angrily)

Why is it that my life is full of complete f**king morons? Max, you have a 3rd in PPE, the civil service is a huge chance for you to make some serious money and have a better life, a chance that might not come again! Yet you are a lazy, easily distracted loser! You don't want to be a mud wrestler-

Max

But Frederick said-

Gary

I don't give a rat's f**king arse about what f**king Frederick said, listen to me! I have known you since university, and now we're here. I'm doing things, or at least I'm trying to. I'm not the best at my job but I f**king try. You are a slob with a strange, but fortunately influential father, barely qualified for a dream job that he could easily get you should you choose to go for it, and you want to be a mud wrestler. You can't see how lucky you are. You know what your problem is? You're ignorant, and too easily roped into things-

Max shakes his head

Gary cont.

Ah! You are. You know you are.

Max continues head shaking

Gary cont. (firmly)

Show us your back!

Max's head shaking increases in speed

Gary

Show us it!

Max slowly turns around and lifts his shirt up, revealing a large tattoo spelling out- "KONY 2012"

Bernard

What's a Kony?

Silence

Bernard

Yo! What the f**k is a Kony, man?

Gary (sighing)

I'm going to bed.

Gary leaves to go to bed, slowly exiting the room, Max and Bernard look at each other while Bernard changes his stance on the couch to more relaxed

Bernard (thrusting arms out and cocking head)

F**ks this guys problem?

Max (recoiling)

Dad!

Max pauses as Bernard sits awkwardly, sighing

Bernard

You used to enjoy that when you were a kid.

Max

I was a kid, I had no idea what was happening.

Bernard

Well son, when your mother left me for a black man-

Max

No, I know now! I didn't know when I was a kid.

Bernard sighs heavily

Max

Look Gary says what you do is bad, so it must be.

Bernard nods his head

Bernard

F**k is his problem anyway?

Max

What? Oh, Gary. Yeah he's been a bit stressed lately with work. He got demoted and had a bit of a breakdown, but he's back now.

Bernard

How long was he gone?

Max

A month.

Bernard

Well shit. Tell him Big Bern sends his love.

Max

Yeah, I will do dad.

Bernard

Well, I got places to be, home-dog. I'll see you soon.

Bernard and Max do a long series of hand movements, Max unenthused,
contrasting Bernard's eagerness

Bernard

Nice. Stay gangsta.

Max

I will, yeah, bye.

Bernard leaves the flat.

Did I just reply to this one?