Be Nice To The Disabled

BE NICE TO THE DISABLED

Int. TV commercial . Business suited male and female are sitting in wheelchairs in the centre of the shot . Both have cheesy  smiles .
The legend ticker-tapes along the bottom of the screen

"Be Nice To The Disabled"

Male

Hello.
Have you ever thought about ...being nice to the disabled?
I'm sure you have . Say for example you've seen a disabled chap in the street and thought... I'm going to be nice to you . You're disabled and that must be an awful bore and generally not very nice so I'm going to be extra-specially kind to you . Did you know that if  you're a Page Three Stunner say  or have just done your first photo-shoot for Playboy,   he will not be offended in the slightest  if you approach him and engage him in flirtatious  conversation  . Isn't that surprising? And  if you offer to take him to the nearest hotel and have wild kinky sex with him ,  not only will he not take offence , he will probably be very grateful and thank you profusely . Your simple act of kindness will have made his day and boosted his confidence no end .

Female

It certainly will have , Martin . And for any of you  rich handsome guys out there - handsome being optional-

Cheesy laugh

- Rich will do!

Shot of both cheesy laughing

Even if you're an elderly Texan oil billionaire with a pacemaker and one foot in the grave , for example  . Do you know .... and this may surprise quite a lot of you , that if you approach a disabled lady in the street and offer to take her to the most expensive restaurant in town , buy her a new  coat -mink of course- give her the finest jewels and -most importantly-open a joint bank account with her that you'll have made her day and also boosted her confidence . She will not be offended at all.

Male

So remember ...

Both

Be nice to the disabled!

Fades

What I would be worried about here is treading in that territory of you should be nicer to disabled people because they are disabled, something I don't think disabled people are too fond of.

However expanding these people in to two characters who use their disability as a means of getting benefits in life could work very nicely.

Just my opinion.

I'm confused. Is this intended to be a commercial?

It's just kinda awful.

Two lumpen blocks off speach to make the joke which is I think
"disabled people don't want your pity, they want lots of money and to have sex."

Who is this aimed at?

You do know comedy usually works around twisted expectation and surprise.

Where as this feels like a lobotomised Ben Elton pinning you against the wall at an 80s student party. And drunkenly shout the same unfunny jokes in your face.
Whilst Joey Deacon whacks you in the testicles with his other shoe.

All to the tune of Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner played by Chumbawumba on a kazoo.

I don't know why but I imagined a drunk Rab C Nesbitt mouthing off while watching it and within that context it struck me as amusing. Perhaps you need voices in your head to enjoy it.

I don't get it. Are they using their disabilities for their own gain, are they being sarcastic, what sort of audience is this aimed at?
I can't tell what it is actually supposed to be; a commercial (for what?) a sketch (what's the punchline?)a news bulletin (re. the ticker tape scenario)or something else?

One thing that jumped out at me straight away was the comment about a mink coat. I don't understand how that is funny. Who would be swayed by that offer in this day and age, disabled or otherwise.

Perhaps you could explain where you are going with this, tell us more about the premise and intent and help us to understand it.

Quote: sootyj @ July 30 2013, 7:36 PM BST

It's just kinda awful.

Two lumpen blocks off speach to make the joke which is I think
"disabled people don't want your pity, they want lots of money and to have sex."

Who is this aimed at?

You do know comedy usually works around twisted expectation and surprise.

Where as this feels like a lobotomised Ben Elton pinning you against the wall at an 80s student party. And drunkenly shout the same unfunny jokes in your face.
Whilst Joey Deacon whacks you in the testicles with his other shoe.

All to the tune of Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner played by Chumbawumba on a kazoo.

I f*cking love Sooty's critiques....except when they are on my stuff!

I love your character descriptions-"Male" and "Female". Covers all bases (well nearly).

This is someone who has work broadcast on Radio 4?!

You been weighing up that response for a while? That's we we like, level-headed considered critique. ;)

there is comedic value in disabled people using their disability as a means of getting the upper hand, or taking advantage of others. Curb does this brilliantly with the blind man who asks Larry to help him move flat.

Is that the sort of angle you were going for? I don't think its quite hit the mark, in fact it's a way off. It's too direct, cliched and patronising. think of a much more clever way to demonstrate that disabled people are no different to able bodied people in their wants/desires, to the point of using their disability to achieve them.

Your lack of character names didn't bother me, funnily enough. And if you have had writing on radio 4 - good for you, it must have been nice work.

We should have a somebody on here more qualified to give an opinion about such a sensitive subject.

Ooh! Can we have a disabled on the forum! Can we? Can we?

Can we have one of those ones with the wheels? They look well cool!

Where can we get them from? If we get 2 we can race them!

Quote: Tiggy @ 11th January 2015, 10:56 PM GMT

We should have a somebody on here more qualified to give an opinion about such a sensitive subject.

Me and my wheels have been here for the last 7 years.

Quote: Tiggy @ 11th January 2015, 10:56 PM GMT

I fear your irony maybe a little rusty.

So Loopey, what's your opinion on the sketch?