A joke or a sketch?

Greetings fellow comedy lovers/misanthropes, my name's Dan and I'm new to the boards, popped a little greeting bit in the introductions. In there I placed an anecdote about my manager which I think has definite comedy potential. In it a customer asked him where a book with a theme on Nazi Germany was and he pointed in a nazi salute fashion (entirely accidentally) and told them it was 'on the far-right'.

I can't work out if this would be better as a joke: "a customer asked me where 'Mein Kampf' was the other day, I said it was over on the far-right", or whether it would be better in a sketch. I changed the book to Mein Kampf because it's more recognisable as Nazi material, but in the sketch it could be an innocent guidebook of Berlin or something, leaving the customer even more indignant.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems like a funny scene in a sit com about someone who works in aboookshop, who is repeatedly, wrongly, accused of racism - bit like that Father Ted episode where the Hitler moustache is a mark on the window. Laughing out loud

Could you have it in a sketch with better jokes? :P

You could write it out in different versions and find out that way.

Quote: gappy @ 15th December 2014, 12:56 PM GMT

Seems like a funny scene in a sit com about someone who works in aboookshop, who is repeatedly, wrongly, accused of racism - bit like that Father Ted episode where the Hitler moustache is a mark on the window. Laughing out loud

Probably my favourite episode of the show.

Speaking of bookshop repeated racism, in other stores (not mine) I heard talks of signs advertising new books on the edge of tastelessness. One was for Simon Shama's book in the history of Judaism and said "have I got Jews for you". The other was for Malala's autobiography and said "chicken tikka malala"

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 15th December 2014, 3:53 PM GMT

Could you have it in a sketch with better jokes? :P

Ha! Of course, but thought it was a good springboard :P

Quote: Yacob Wingnut @ 15th December 2014, 4:39 PM GMT

You could write it out in different versions and find out that way.

Good advice, will do