Is this good in any way, shape or form?

Hello all!

I've been writing articles now for the last 4/5 months. Was just wondering if anyone fancied having a look and giving me some online validation that it's shit/good/I should find and then not quit my day job.

No idea as to how to progress also from just writing stuff to actually getting it noticed and advancing up the well oiled slippery ladder of comedy.

Anywhoom here she is: www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-dann/scottish-independence_b_5821176.html

Thanks a lot!

James

Yes, it's good in one way but not so good in others.

The one way in which it's good is that it's funny.

One way in which it's not good is the spelling.

One way in which it's even worse is the English.

On the above basis, you shouldn't worry too much. I know lots of people who can spell and write good English but who are totally unfunny. Those people are not currently making a living in the comedy business.

Your best bet is to find a friend who's good at English and ask him (or her) to brush up your scripts for you.

Good luck!

I agree, I'm no connoisseur of English (I had to look up how to spell connoisseur) but the piece loses credit as soon as I read the word 'loose' when I should be reading 'lose'. I don't know why but it's a really common mistake.

I didn't get beyond that because my brain switched off. Keeping people interested in a web piece is quite difficult anyway (very easy to navigate to a different web page quickly) so try not to encourage somebody to leave before they get going.

Like I said, I'm no expert but it's just what I read.

Kill the commas.

It's hard to do in early draft but mainly the and(,) comma - less commas and have confidence in the words to 'turn the corners' for you. Rather too few than too many - let the sub stick 'em in. Speaking as a long time comma abuser myself...

All the best - it made the Huff Post so good, eh?

Hi James, it certainly has some nice ideas and I like the general concept. I'd maybe cut it down a bit though - maybe chop about 30% out where some of the jokes are repeated.

So, does the Huffington Post pay you? If so how much and how easy is it to get things published with them?