Established Comedy Channel for Dry Humour

Hi Comedy fans,

If you enjoy both dry and off the cuff humour that is not scripted but is still funny and entertaining then I would recommend the SetrocJC channel on YouTube.

I have posted nearly 50 videos and add at least three a week and have no plans on stopping so please check them out and let me know what you think. I have tried to create content that is original and not main stream.

Thank you for taking the time to read this far, now please click on the link below and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SetrocJC

Sorry not scripted comedy of any length is never funny. That's just my take so good luck with it.

Just one tip though - video has pictures in it. Maybe call them podcasts?

I hate the arrogance of unscripted humour. And in the one episode I had the misfortune to watch you mentioned researching facts.

That's scripting you lied to me and you dontveven know me why would you do that?

Marc P, I value your opinion as it's yours and no one can take that away from you.

Do you really believe that non scripted comedy cannot be funny, in my opinion improvisation and off the cuff comments and observations are what separates a good comic from someone that is run of the mill and main stream. If you don't find that entertaining then that's fair enough but I'm sure many people do.

The YouTube Channel is build around what you might call animations of Pod casts that I have done in the last year. Videos are a representation or description of the content that is uploaded to YouTube and is not to be taken literally.

In real life yes. As a presented piece no. And all those off the cuff comedy based programmes you have seen on the telly are not off the cuff at all.

I just saw the beginning of one of your podcasts by the way with a crude drawing of a man moving his lips in the same way which was irritating after twenty seconds. If you wish listeners to pay attention to the content I would ditch that entirely would be my advice.

sootyj, thanks for your opinion.

Not sure I agree that unscripted humour is arrogant surely it is the total opposite, if someone can make you laugh without having spent half an hour at a desk scripting something then how is that arrogant?

Do you not mean talented?

As far as the facts Animation/Video goes, what I say in it is by no means scripted obviously the topics and the facts are being read from something, an article. But what I say is not planned I haven't read the facts beforehand or have anything written down as to where I am going with them, that is unscripted surely!?

It never fails to amaze me how people are so quick to put other people down when they try, it's far easier to not like something than it is to open up your mind and see something through totally fresh and embrace it.

That's the problem nowadays people go onto channels or listen to Pod casts not wanting to enjoy or like them and make up their minds before they have even heard a word, its far easier to pick fault and to complain than it is to embrace and enjoy.

You are an up and coming comedian you say so surely your talent has been recognised by the people who matter?

Marc P - Thanks for your reply, I agree the animation takes a bit of getting use to but when you are using the YouTube platform, people expect some kind of visual and as I don't particularly want to plaster my face all over it so this in my opinion is the next best thing.

And go for the third best thing! :)

I'm no up and coming comedian, what's the definition of that? I do YouTube and Pod casts because I enjoy it and I know other people do as well.

On YouTube I claim to be up and coming and a comedian as people are more likely to listen and for search engine optimisation.

I'm just an average Joe and claim to be no more.

Sorry Joe it's just what you said on your profile. Sorry if I misunderstood thought you were on the circuit or something.

Oh right yeah I can see the confusion - profile edited ;)

Quote: SetrocJC @ 17th August 2014, 1:07 PM BST

It never fails to amaze me how people are so quick to put other people down when they try, it's far easier to not like something than it is to open up your mind and see something through totally fresh and embrace it.

Welcome to BCG. People here much prefer to put down shite than to praise or constructively critique anything else.

That's actually neither true nor fair and it's an attitude that depresses a little. Comedy is probably one of the harder art forms, because you're not looking for technical or even emotional appraisal.
You're looking for a physical one, a laugh or even a smile. And in that regard you will succeed or fail.
There is no middle ground, so when people are funny or could be a bit funnier then generally you'll find effusive praise or advise.

And when they are not then sometimes the advice is harsh.

In this case it's a rookie mistake 101. Assuming improv or unscripted is easy because that's what it looks like. Improv is one of the hardest forms of comedy, when someone seems to be doing it easily. That maybe because they've years of practise, or a huge body of material in their brain they can access easily, or they spent a long time developing characters that they know what they're going to say.

One thing it isn't ever, is just sitting in front of a microphone and rambling off the top of your head. It doesn't work, no one's that naturally funny.

Of course the second mistake is doing this badly and then doing it over and over. Stop assess, redirect whatever or are you assuming you are the naturally funniest person ever.

There's a reason even the greatest improvers write stuff, or practise in workshops and anonymous comedy clubs. It's because it's an art and you don't even have the experience to recognise that.

Stop worrying about recording a weekly segment no one will listen to, like some post apocalyptic radio DJ. Focus on perfecting and honing one recording you can be truly proud of.

And hire a scriptwriter.