Hack Subjects

Reading the chortle forum and other articles it would seem a 'hack' is not just using someone's material but also mentioning the same subject as another comic, now obviously on the circuit jokes on subjects such as airports, TV shows, relationships are going to be rife but why is there such negativity about a comedian talking about a generic subject if they're not using anyone else's 'joke' and what they are saying is funny then what's the problem?

Quote: PurpleRonnie @ 31st March 2014, 9:00 PM BST

Reading the chortle forum and other articles it would seem a 'hack' is not just using someone's material but also mentioning the same subject as another comic, now obviously on the circuit jokes on subjects such as airports, TV shows, relationships are going to be rife but why is there such negativity about a comedian talking about a generic subject if they're not using anyone else's 'joke' and what they are saying is funny then what's the problem?

IMHO there are no "hack" subjects only hack jokes on those subjects, for instance I'm sure there are plenty of jokes to be made about Andy Murray but if your joke involves him being British when he wins but Scottish when he loses then please go and shoot yourself in the face.

Generally, if a certain joke has been done to death ("and that was just the teachers!", "and then I got off the bus!", "What's the deal with airline food?", etc, etc) then it's hack but that's not to say that no one can joke about that particular subject ever again.

Another tip is that if "civilians" are making the same joke as you on twitter, facebook etc, then the chances are that your joke is not very original and will be seen as "hack".

How dare you suggest us hacks steal? Angry

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 31st March 2014, 10:22 PM BST

IMHO there are no "hack" subjects only hack jokes on those subjects, for instance I'm sure there are plenty of jokes to be made about Andy Murray but if your joke involves him being British when he wins but Scottish when he loses then please go and shoot yourself in the face.

Generally, if a certain joke has been done to death ("and that was just the teachers!", "and then I got off the bus!", "What's the deal with airline food?", etc, etc) then it's hack but that's not to say that no one can joke about that particular subject ever again.

Another tip is that if "civilians" are making the same joke as you on twitter, facebook etc, then the chances are that your joke is not very original and will be seen as "hack".

bloody civilians.

Does anyone else find comedians talking about Hack stuff a bit hacky?

North of the border I put my own Scottish independence spin on it with a joke about Andy Murray being Scottish when he wins, but British when he loses.

Then, just in case it's still hack, I glass someone else in the face.

EDIT: Though Tony's right: when people say hack subjects what they usually mean is hack jokes/attitudes.

The really odd thing about Andy Murray is that when he win's he's British, when he loses he's Scottish, but he sounds English through & through when he's the pub landlord.

are machetes a hack subject

Jokes about E8 are a bit Hackneyed.