House Of Fools - Series 1 Page 11

Quote: lofthouse @ 28th January 2014, 10:32 PM GMT

Wow!

Didn't really enjoy last weeks show

But this was classic V and B

Mental

But mental and funny

Ah, I have found my opposite in this world! ;)
Loved the first two episodes, found this one an absolute chore to sit through.

Found it very funny! You twat.

I also found it a chore. I did not laugh once.

Will call myself a twat to save you the job.

Lol, I hope everyone knows I was quoting from the show... :$

I thought the 'Noisy kitchen' bit was perfect.

I love the sinister animated bits so, so much.

I've watched two episodes of this and I really can't get on board. There's a few raised smiles but throughout the show, I'm just wondering when to turn it off.

I really can't wait to see more Dan Skinner in sitcoms though, he's probably the only character in this that could make me laugh.

Tried to give it another chance last night, but for me it's just not funny.

Loved the episode last night it was really funny and good. It gets better every week I think.

Matt Berry's orotund delivery reminds me of Batman's Bane. Which makes about as much sense as anything else re HOF. It's extremely patchy but when it works it's great.

If only Vic and Bab hadn't enabled the twat Fielding.

Team Amstell!

The 3rd episode was my least favourite so far but still very enjoyable. I wonder what it'd be like to take LSD and watch this show? I fear it might send one over the edge.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 30th January 2014, 7:39 AM GMT

The 3rd episode was my least favourite so far but still very enjoyable.

I agree.

I loved episode 1 and said so earlier on this forum (10 out of 10).

Episode 2 I did not enjoy as much, was only a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Episode 3 I was really disappointed in, only a 4 or 5 out of 10 from me.

Often comedies put a good episode 1 out, then perhaps the weakest show for episode 2, then stronger episodes from 3 onwards, hoping to build an audience for the rest of the series.

So I was hoping Ep 2 was a dip but I found Ep 3 a real struggle.

The humour seemed very "forced". When a script is good actors don't need to "force" it but when the script is poor then they often have to "force" the show to be funny.

(Classic example of this is Fawlty Towers where in the dead body show we can all sympathise with Basil tying to constantly hide the body and the laughs come naturally, but in say the Wedding Anniversary show, where Sybil drives off before all their friends arrive, we don't laugh as much because at the back of our minds we are all thinking why does Basil not just tell his friends Sybil has gone. So the humour is all rather forced).

I am also finding the characters in HOF have no depth, there is no light and shade in them. What we saw them doing in episode 1 they are still doing in episode 3.

Beef comes in, talks about his sexual fantasies, and goes out.

Someone punches another person and the other person does a strange "dance", and then punches someone else, who then does a dance and so on.

I WANT to like it, but I am finding from episode 1 onwards I am liking it less and less.

P.S. I did compare it with The Young Ones in an earlier comment and while there are SOME comparisons (the cartoon type violence, the stupid behaviour etc.) there was much more light and shade in The Young Ones which makes it funnier.

House Of Fools is a bit one dimensional.

Those kinds of comments would be valid if HoF was striving (and failing) to be a traditional sitcom.

But that is the problem we're getting here with this 'type' of show they're doing - mixed reviews, even from fans of R&M because many sitcom viewers don't want yet another whacky anarchic indulgence in the sitcom slot.

And of course they can only really do this type of random anything goes rubbish, as previous formal comedies prove they can't act. It's okayish in funniness terms but very old hat and easy just to throw together. Added to that I think it's a bit of a copy and paste job and the best gags aren't even theirs.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd February 2014, 8:51 AM GMT

mixed reviews, even from fans of R&M

Members of public in don't-all-share-same-opinion-of-creative-artwork shock horror alert the press.