How to start a sketch group

I and a friend have written a lot of sketches with the objective of performing them live, however I haven't come accross any standard progression form this stage to performing and beyond as there is in stand-up (write, open mics, payed gigs...). I was wondering if anyone who has experience of this could offer advice on how to continue. We live in brighton so any advice specific to our location would be especially appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We did something similar a few years ago around Kingston.

You've got the cast? We auditioned to put a team together.

Then got a venue sorted - it moved a couple of times - handed out flyers and just did it.

Back rooms of pubs, cafe area of a local theatre.

This is the way to do it

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/19011/

They are doing quite well these days I hear, and are called "Goes Well With Cheese"
But the original poster isn't a member anymore

So you would recommend not bothering with trying to find open mic nights that accept sketch groups and just going straight to a venue with a show and asking them to let you perform it?

I'd say start performing them at open mic nights as most open mics will accept sketch acts and it's always good to have something different on the bill. It can get rather tiresome if the night is man with jeans and a T-shirt, followed by man with jeans and similar T-shirt (repeat to the end of the night).

I think as a sketch group you'd stand out more on an open mic bill as there are fewer sketch groups. There are also a few sketch groups that are doing well and do the bigger clubs like Pappys Fun Club and Late Night Gimp Fight so you could check them out on YouTube, etc. There's also a duo that have taken a sketch show up to Edinburgh this year called In Cahoots who are very good. They started out and still perform in a larger improve troupe called Shoot From the Hip so it may be worth contacting them but, I've definitely seen them performing at open mic nights in the run up to Edinburgh.

I hope this helps? All the best,

Jason.