Sketch - Beware

EXT. A CHURCHYARD. DAY.

A POSTMAN WITH A BANDAGED RIGHT HAND IS CHECKING THROUGH SOME MAIL HE HAS TO DELIVER. HE READS ONE ADDRESS AND BECOMES APPREHENSIVE. WE SEE THE ADDRESS. IT READS ‘THE OLD CHURCH. 7 CHURCH STREET’. NERVOUSLY, HE GLANCES THROUGH THE GATES OF THE CHURCHYARD.

HE ENTERS TENTATIVELY, LOOKS AT HIS RIGHT HAND AND WINCES. GLANCING LEFT TO RIGHT HE BELIEVES HE IS SAFE, AND CONTINUES UP THE PATH. SUDDENLY, HE SPOTS SOMEONE CHARGING TOWARDS HIM. IT’S AN OLD BUT ANIMATED MAN, RUNNING AND SHOUTING DEMENTEDLY. HE WEARS PALE BLUE ROBES AND HAS LUXURIANT WHITE HAIR AND A LONG WHITE BEARD. THE POSTMAN THROWS LOTS OF MAIL UP IN THE AIR AND FLEES, PURSUED BY THE OLD MAN.

OLD MAN:
Repent thy sins! Do unto others as you would have done to you! Do not covet thy neighbour’s ass! Do not worship false idols!

THE POSTMAN JUST MAKES IT OUT SAFELY, SLAMMING THE GATE BEHIND HIM. THE OLD MAN IS LEFT SNARLING AT THE GATE. WE SEE A SIGN ON THE GATE WHICH READS: ‘BEWARE OF THE GOD’.

ENDS.

Scott, that made me laugh. Didn't see it coming.

I'd cut out the the in beware of (the) dog but it was very funny

It was good but, hmmm... it does need changing somehow. Don't look at me though...

Oh My Dog, it's a great sketch Scott.

I agree with AJP in removing the 'the'.

Excelllent stuff. Maybe more lines from God -they feel a bit throwaway and I'm not sure if 'volumous' is a word. Absolutely excellent punchline and it would make a really vivid scene too (owl FX, bats etc).

I really like it-didnt see it coming, but it was still really funny-I wouldnt remove the "the" personally because it relates to the "beware of the dog" which you wouldnt take the "the" in that....
...i just realise how little sense i make when im tired

you could maybe also show the church as one of those rustic, haunted castle scenarios as the postman looks up at it?

Quote: ajp29 @ February 27, 2007, 1:39 PM

I'd cut out the the in beware of (the) dog

I think that would kill the nice play on words that makes this sketch come together. And when you know that not everyone saw the punchline coming, I think that adds up to a very nice piece of work. Well done.

baumski said what I meant to :D

All the signs I've seen have said 'beware of dog' not 'beware of the dog.' But either way works, besides its blasphemous to say the god because theres only one god. Ha! I smite your grammar argument with my ecclesiastical bullshit.

In Serbian God is written as Bog

Quote: ajp29 @ February 27, 2007, 10:15 PM

besides its blasphemous to say the god because theres only one god.

Unless you cast Lord Ganesha (The Hindu Elephant God). That would also, semantically, work well with 'Beware of THE God.'

Quote: Nick Rivers @ February 28, 2007, 9:15 AM

Unless you cast Lord Ganesha

Ganesha! Isn't that Denis the Menace's dog?

Hi Scott. Really liked this. Good work.

Quote: Baumski @ February 28, 2007, 9:20 AM

Ganesha! Isn't that Denis the Menace's dog?

well the Beano is littered with Hindu subtext.