Series C, Episode 12 - Combustion
- "Doubt cards": One of the answers is false. If a panellist thinks the answer is "bollocks", they put up their card to score bonus points.
- The greatest raid made by Mosquitoes during World War II was when 12 of them rescued 12 members of the French Resistance, bombing the Amines Prison.
- The first thing to happen to the crew of the Titanic as it started to sink was that their wages were stopped. (Forfeit: They drowned)
- Tangent: The Duff-Gordon family allegedly bribed the lifeboat crew to save their lives.
- The difference between Able and Ordinary seaman is that Able seaman carry a log called a 'certificate of continuous discharge'.
- You can sink a ship using pistachios and walnuts because they spontaneously combust in water.
- Peanuts, almonds, pistachios, Brazil nuts, cashews, coconuts, horse-chestnuts, pine nuts and beetle nuts are not nuts. Most are seeds. True nuts include walnuts, butternuts, hickory, pecans, wingnuts, beech, oak, stone oak, tanoak, hazelnuts, filbert and hornbeams.
- Tangent: Coconuts kill people 10 times more than sharks do per year.
- Rolls-Royce test aircraft engines by firing dead chickens from a cannon. They are fired out of cannons at 186mph, which is 1/360,000th the speed of light, also known as "C". Correction: It is actually 1/3,600,000th the speed of light. Correction: The aeroplane engine shown in the photo on the screens is not a Rolls-Royce engine.
- The theory of relativity was invented by Galileo. (Forfeit: Einstein)
- Three-quarters of the women accused of witchcraft in England were acquitted. (Forfeit: They were burned)
- Pine is an example of a softwood. (Forfeit: Balsa wood)
- If you cut an earthworm in two, you get one dead worm in two pieces. (Forfeit: You get two earthworms)
- Tangent: A planaria is a type of flatworm discovered by T. H. Morgan. 1/279th can regenerate into an original full-size planaria.
- Instead of using a special space pen, astronauts can just use a regular biro in zero gravity. (Forfeit: A pencil)
- Doubt card: Neil Armstrong and the Mr. Gorski myth: The myth claims that when he was a boy, Armstrong hit his baseball into the next-door neighbours' garden, the Gorski's. Mrs. Gorski said, "Oral sex - I'll have oral sex with you the day that kid next-door lands on the moon." Alan is the only one to play his "doubt card".
- Correction: Dara's fact about the triple point of water which he mentioned in Series B is corrected. He claimed it was 0 degrees Celcius, but it is actually 0.01 degrees. (Forfeit: 0 degrees Celcius)
For the engine correction, see QI Qibble Blog
- Friday 9th December 2005
- BBC Four
- 30 minutes
Cast & crew
|Stephen Fry||Host / Presenter|
|Alan Davies||Regular Panellist|
|Dara O Briain||Guest|
|John Mitchinson||Question Writer|
|Piers Fletcher||Question Writer|
|Mark Freeland||Executive Producer|
|Sally Debonnaire||Executive Producer|