Climb on board for a trip down memory lane with classic sitcom On The Buses. We're celebrating 50 years since the journey began on 28th February 1969.
The comedy starred Reg Varney as Stan Butler, a bus driver who lived at home with his mum (Cicely Courtneidge in Series 1, and Doris Hare from Series 2 onwards), sister Olive (Anna Karen) and brother-in-law Arthur (Michael Robbins).
Knew all that? Let's test how much of a fan you are... Have a go at the quiz questions below and see what rings a bell. Hopefully you can steer clear of the incorrect answers to the eleven questions! Why 11? Well, it was the Number 11 bus to the Cemetery Gates that Stan regularly drove with his pal Jack... ding ding!
1. What is the title of the series' theme tune?
a) Happy Barry
b) Happy Harry
c) Happy Larry
2. What is the full name of the bus company that Stan, Jack, Blakey and later Olive work for?
3. In the first episode, what is the cause of the unofficial strike by Stan and his work colleagues?
4. What does Stan's brother-in-law Arthur Rudge do for a living?
5. In which children's weekly TV publication was On The Buses serialised in a comic strip between August 1971 and May 1974?
b) TV Comic
c) TV Tops
6. Stan is ordered by the depot management to do a first aid test in the episode First Aid. What is the penalty if he fails?
a) To be fired
b) To become a Conductor
c) To work in cleaning or maintenance
7. How often do the bus company management issue new uniforms to its crews?
8. Which breed of dog do Arthur and Olive receive from Aunt Maud as a 10th Wedding Anniversary present?
9. In the episode Lost Property, Stan finds a valuable item on his bus, what is it?
a) a diamond
b) a gold chain
c) a locket
a) Bye Bye Blakey
b) Goodbye Stan
c) Gardening Time
11. Stan leaves his job as a Bus Driver to go and work in the Midlands doing what?
When you're ready, scroll down for the answers...
1. The theme tune is Happy Harry, so answer B.
2. The full name of the bus company is The Luxton & District Traction Company.
3. The strike was in protest about a new early shift work schedule.
4. Arthur Rudge is a British Rail Booking Clerk.
5. It was Look-in - option A - which carried the On The Buses comic strip.
6. If Stan fails the first aid test he will have to go and work in cleaning or maintenance, so option C.
7. The staff get new uniforms every 2 years.
8. Aunt Maud gives Arthur and Olive a Poodle.
9. Stan finds a diamond (option A) on his bus.
10. Goodbye Stan, option B, was Wolfe & Chesney's final script.
11. Stan goes to work in a car factory.
Published: Thursday 28th February 2019