- Channel 5
- Ross Noble, Alan Davies, Meera Syal, Morwenna Banks, Jimmy Mulville, Ricky Grover, James Rampton, Kevin McNally and others
- Steph West
- Steph West
Channel 5 celebrates the life and career of one of the UK's funniest ladies, as told through the memories of some of those closest to her.
Friends and collaborators including Ross Noble, Alan Davies, Meera Syal, Morwenna Banks, Jimmy Mulville and Ricky Grover share their memories of Jo's stellar career and give inside intel on the comedian who has stayed at the top of her game for 30 years.
After spending her 20s in the tough world of psychiatric nursing, Jo Brand turned to stand-up in the late 1980s, renaming herself 'The Sea Monster' and braving the rowdy, male-dominated alternative comedy circuit. Her gags were X-rated and she was both self-deprecating and confrontational. It was a winning formula. She appeared on Friday Night Live, and by the 1990s had her own show, Through The Cakehole.
Voted Stand Up of the Year at the 1995 British Comedy Awards, her fearless wit made her a darling of the panel and quiz show circuit, including Have I Got News For You and QI. The new millennium brought new comedy gravitas as she wrote and starred in nursing series Getting On, for which she won a BAFTA, and Damned about social workers. She also achieved national treasure status as she fronted Bake Off: An Extra Slice.
- Production company
- Also known as
- Jo Brand: By Her Friends (Other official name)
- Jo Brand: Secrets Of Her Success (Other official name)
- Jo Brand: 30 Years Of Laughs (Repeat title)
- First broadcast
- Friday 2nd March 2018 on Channel 5 at 10:30pm
- Episode length
- 55 minutes
- Last repeat
- Tuesday 1st September 2020 at 10:35pm