Series 4, Episode 5
Clive Anderson - Tobacco
- Native Americans smoked tobacco up their noses using a pipe with two nostril holes. Found by Fi.
- The Dutch used tobacco to as an anti-plague remedy. Found by Dom.
- When Pablo Picasso was born the midwife thought he was stillborn and abandoned him on a table, but Picasso's uncle, who was a doctor, realised he was still alive and revived him puffing cigar smoke into his lungs. Found by Dom.
- Sit Walter Raleigh once financed a trip to America by winning a bet with Elizabeth I that he could weigh the weight of smoke. Successfully smuggled.
- Prince Philip gave up smoking on the morning he got married to the then Princess Elizabeth. Successfully smuggled.
Henning Wehn - Sausages
- The British Sausage Appreciation Society has more than 7,000 members. Found by Dom.
- Sausages are called "bangers" because during the Second Word War sausages had so much water in them they would bang when fried. Found by Fi.
- In parts of tropical Africa there is a "Sausage tree" which grows sausage-shaped fruit. Found by Clive.
- From 1939-40 the Soviet Union and Finland fought the Sausage War during which hungry Russians overran a Finnish kitchen, filled up on sausages and refused to fight. Successfully smuggled.
- The world's longest sausage was made in Britain in the year 2000. It weighed 15.5 tonnes and was 35 miles long. Successfully smuggled.
Fi Glover - Frogs
- The American tree frog cries "Crock-key", but the male can only hear the first part and the female can only hear the second. Found by Clive.
- In Memphis, Tennessee it is illegal for frogs to croak after 11pm. Successfully smuggled.
- Kermit the Frog is left-handed. Successfully smuggled.
- When a frog throws up it brings up their whole stomach, then it digs out the contents with its hands. Successfully smuggled.
- Frogs do not drink. They absorb water through their skin. Successfully smuggled.
Dom Joly - Elvis Presley
- Elvis referred to his manhood as "Little Elvis". Found by Clive.
- Following his first appearance on stage at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee, Elvis was told he would make a better lorry driver than a singer. Successfully smuggled.
- Elvis is related to every American president except Barack Obama. It similarly means that all of the American presidents except Obama are related to each other. Successfully smuggled.
- It is said that Elvis once entered an Elvis look-alike competition in a burger bar and came third. Successfully smuggled.
- Elvis liked to spend his time hanging around his local morgue looking at corpses. Successfully smuggled.
- Dom Joly: 4 points
- Fi Glover and Clive Anders: 3 points
- Henning Wehn: -1 point
- Monday 2nd November 2009
- BBC Radio 4
- 30 minutes
Cast & crew
|David Mitchell||Host / Presenter|