- 2014 - 2018
- BBC Radio 4
- 16 (4 series)
- Adam Riches, Sissela Benn, Thomas Oredsson, Anna-Lena Bergelin, Danny Robins, Fredrick Andersson and Farshad Kholghi
- Danny Robins
- Frank Stirling
- Frank Stirling
This series, set and recorded in Sweden, stars Adam Riches and some of Sweden's most popular TV comedy actors.
In Series 1, Geoff moves to the tiny, cold and unpronounceable village of Yxsjö in northern Sweden; a culture shock forced on him by his Swedish girlfriend Linda's decision to move home to raise their child.
Geoff has to contend with snow, moose, pickled herring, unemployment, snow, Maypole dancing, snowmobiles, snow, meatball rolling, saunas, social democracy, snow, the weirdest pizzas in Europe, bears, deep forests, death metal, illegal alcohol and... snow. Above all, he has a new family to contend with, the Andersson's bewilder him - from father Sten who has a worrying tendency to growl like a bear and threaten him with any blunt instrument to hand to Gunilla who threatens him with naked folk-dancing.
It's worth it all for Linda, of course, apart from her new found urge to conform with everything, except for her brother, a Goth with a propensity to set fire to things.
In Series 2, new dad Geoff has plenty of fresh experiences to contend with, including three varieties of pickled cabbage, sinister Christmas elves and an unpleasant visit from Sweden's answer to the BNP.
While Geoff and Linda now have their own place, he still has to deal with her disapproving Dad, Sten, her alarmingly flirtatious mother Gunilla and her apparently suicidal, arsonist brother, Anders.
Geoff is determined to be more Swedish than the Swedes as he takes to his new country with renewed enthusiasm, and he has help, in the form of fellow ex-pat, cynical Ian, an unending source of (slightly misleading) information, and Soran, a Danish Kurd with Swedophobia.
Series 4 features Pippi Longstocking, the notorious NWA (Norwegian Woodwind Assembly), Anders getting a girlfriend and Geoff becomes the face of Yxsjö's tourist board...
- Production company
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Monday 11th August 2014 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Last new broadcast
- Friday 14th December 2018 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Upcoming repeats
- Series 2 Episode 2: Tomorrow at 7am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 2 Episode 2: Tomorrow at 5pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 2 Episode 2: Wednesday at 5am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 2 Episode 3: Tuesday 29th October at 7am on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 2 Episode 3: Tuesday 29th October at 5pm on Radio 4 Extra
- Series 2 Episode 3: Wednesday 30th October at 5am on Radio 4 Extra