All The Young Dudes
A radio sitcom based on the characters from Jim Sweeney's award winning play Danny's Wake
- Comedy Drama, Sitcom
- 2001 - 2002
- BBC Radio 4
- 12 (2 series)
- Jim Sweeney
- Jim Sweeney, Steve Steen, Stephen Frost, Cathryn Harrison, Sadie Shimmin, Flaminia Cinque and Izzy de Rosario
- Jim Sweeney
- Steve Doherty
Jim Sweeney's first play, Danny's Wake won a Fringe First in Edinburgh and a Granada Media Comedy Writing Award prompting Radio 4 to commission a series based on the main characters Patrick and Billy. Whilst the play was essentially a black comedy in which two old friends spend a night alone at a wake where alcohol makes truth and lies indistinguishable, All The Young Dudes keeps the same themes, but is far more light hearted. Sweeney blends nostalgia through flashbacks and music to create well rounded characters and an engaging sense of community.
When Patrick (an out of work teacher) and his wife Helen (a high flying businesswoman) move back to the town where Patrick grew up, he bumps into old school friends and reminisces over their childhood. Although Patrick looks back at his school days with some affection, it appears that things were not always as they seemed. However, Billy and Moira (the divorced couple who live next door to each other), Helen and Patrick and local pub owners, Joe and Maria build up firm friendships and a sense of community develops.
The twelve thirty minute episodes explore not only the couples own relationships, but their relationships with their friends and neighbours.
- The theme tune is David Bowie and Mott the Hoople's All The Young Dudes. The series frequently uses other hits from the sixties and seventies, such as Small Faces, The Kinks and The Turtles.
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Friday 20th July 2001 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Last new broadcast
- Friday 25th October 2002 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Last repeat
- Friday 29th July 2016 at 5:00am on Radio 4 Extra