Life's great when you're rich(er than most people on the planet). Not only does DeAnne pay strangers to remove her body hair, she also has a guy drive her around town in a large, expensive vehicle. (Okay, a bus.) But still, this 2011 Barry Award Nominee's doing waaaay better than 1.7 billion people in poverty. This is a show about how sweet life is, and could be. (Also includes ukulele tunes, free candy.)
Share this show
- The List
- The Skinny
- Fest Mag
- The Scotsman
- Broadway Baby
- Fringe Guru
Full press release
Life's great when you're rich(er than most people on the planet). Not only does DeAnne pay strangers to remove her body hair, she also has a guy drive her around town in a large, expensive vehicle (okay, it's a bus). But still, this 2011 MICF Barry Award Nominee is doing waaaay better than 1.7 billion people in poverty.
Her second solo show at the Edinburgh Fringe, Livin' The Sweet Life looks at how sweet life is, and could be. And it wouldn't be a DeAnne Smith show without the inclusion of ukulele tunes and free candy in the ticket price.
DeAnne Smith has done lots of really awesome things since she started comedy in 2005, presented for you here in handy bullet point form. She has:
- Created tons of Montreal comedy shows! Comedy OFF the Main, Montreal's weekly, alternative comedy series (2005-2009), Tale Spin!, Montreal's monthly story-telling series (2008-present), Stand Up / Strip Down, Montreal's highly successful bi-monthly burlesque comedy show (2008- present), Happenglad's New Hat, Montreal's monthly experimental new work series (2010-present). She also hosts all of those shows. Wow, DeAnne! Why are you so cool?
- Been on the TV in many nations! NBC's Last Comic Standing (2007), The Comedy Network (2009), Good News Week on Australia's Channel 10 (2009, 2010), Australia's SBS (2009). She's also been on the radio! ABC, Triple J, and CBC, where she's appeared numerous times on Definitely Not the Opera and The Debaters. Holy cow, DeAnne! Your media presence is overwhelming!
- Won and been nominated for many awards! She won Sydney Comedy Festival's Time Out Best Newcomer in 2008, and was nominated for a Canadian Comedy Award for Best Newcomer (2008), Adelaide Fringe Best Established Comedian (2009) and represented Montreal in the Just for Laughs' Homegrown Comedy Competition (2009). My goodness, girlfriend! People sure seem to like you!
- Presented three outstanding solo shows! Shouting Over Drunks 2008, DeAnne Smith Lacks Focus 2009, DeAnne Smith: BALLSY 2010. I bet critics and the show-going public dug those shows, DeAnne!
- Appeared in many top-notch festivals! Just for Laughs (2007, 2009, 2010), Melbourne International Comedy Festival (2010), Sydney Comedy Festival (2008, 2009. 2010), Adelaide Fringe Festival (2008, 2009. 2010), Hobart Comedy Festival (2010). She has also toured with the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Road Show (2009, 2010). And you did all this within five years of your first open mic, DeAnne? If you weren't already so old, you'd be like some kind of wunderkind!
- Achieved small-scale recognition in her comedy home town of Montreal! DeAnne was voted one of Montreal's top three comedians by readers of The Montreal Mirror in 2010. (After being named one of Montreal's top four comedians from 2007-2009) She was named a Noisemaker by the publication in 2009. Amazing! How do you do it, DeAnne?
Incidentally, DeAnne comes from an alcoholic family and sometimes wonders if this is the real reason she's chosen a career in which she competes for attention in a room full of people with drinks in their hands! In writing bios, she's never sure if she should aim to be funny, informational, self-aggrandizing, or all of the above! Soon, she'll probably quit with the self-affirming list of credits and accolades, and just accept that she is, really, like a real comedian and everything! DeAnne Smith is a powerhouse of hilarity! Please love her! Thank you for reading.
Tweets by DeAnne_Smith