Human Remains Page 3

Quote: Mikey88 @ 4th June 2014, 4:02 PM BST

Oh wasn't she, it was ages ago I watched it - sort of thing she would be in though innit

As I understand it, Brydon wrote and filmed Marion & Geoff series 1, then Human Remains straight after, then A Small Summer Party not too long after that. So I guess after working so closely with Julia Davies, perhaps she had an indirect influence on the tone and style of A Small Summer Party. It is a lot darker than the rest of Marion & Geoff (which is saying something).

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 4th June 2014, 9:20 PM BST

As I understand it, Brydon wrote and filmed Marion & Geoff series 1, then Human Remains straight after, then A Small Summer Party not too long after that. So I guess after working so closely with Julia Davies, perhaps she had an indirect influence on the tone and style of A Small Summer Party. It is a lot darker than the rest of Marion & Geoff (which is saying something).

That's possible but the influence of co-writer and director Hugo Blick may have had a lot to do with it.

Quote: Nick @ 8th June 2014, 10:48 AM BST

That's possible but the influence of co-writer and director Hugo Blick may have had a lot to do with it.

The only other Hugo Blick work I'm really familiar with is Operation Good Guys. But it's been a while since I watched it so I really can't remember if it was dark in a Marion & Geoff sort of way or not. Although he was briefly The Joker (sort of) which is dark.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 8th June 2014, 6:21 PM BST

The only other Hugo Blick work I'm really familiar with is Operation Good Guys. But it's been a while since I watched it so I really can't remember if it was dark in a Marion & Geoff sort of way or not. Although he was briefly The Joker (sort of) which is dark.

No, Operation Good Guys wasn't dark but a lot of Hugo Blick's work has been.

He made Up in Town with Joanna Lumley (another monologue like Marion and Geoff) and has worked on several successful dramas since then. It was also at his instigation that Marion and Geoff changed into a 30 minute show so I would have thought he had a lot to do with A Small Summer Party.

I think Rob Brydon is a talented light entertainer but the blend of his comedy skills and the darkness of Hugo Blick and Julia Davis brought about those two great shows.

All Over My Glasses is one of the funniest half-hours of TV that's ever been done.

I really liked the rehearsals/workshopping footage on the DVD.