Human Remains Page 2

Excellent series, sadly not repeated by the BBC. Yes, in some episodes - notably 'More Than Happy' - the mood darkens considerably, but taken as a series whole it really is two great comedy actors at the height of their abilities. Personal favourite is 'Straight As A Flute', which is extremely well-observed and also very funny.

Just been made aware of this series, I will track it down and watch with interest.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 1 2009, 12:40 AM BST

Excellent series, sadly not repeated by the BBC. Yes, in some episodes - notably 'More Than Happy' - the mood darkens considerably, but taken as a series whole it really is two great comedy actors at the height of their abilities. Personal favourite is 'Straight As A Flute', which is extremely well-observed and also very funny.

Personally I think the wife beating episode and the last one were the best. The wife beating one is probably one of the funniest most poetic and heartbreaking half hours ever. I think comedy needs Davis and Brydon to team up again and write another sitcom sieries (maybe one with regular characters). It would be an absolute sin if they were both best known for appearing in Gavin and Stacey.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 1 2009, 12:40 AM BST

Personal favourite is 'Straight As A Flute', which is extremely well-observed and also very funny.

Curly sausage casserole. :D

I won't see an animal suffer..

Quote: miChristmasterfestus @ October 22 2008, 9:53 AM BST

That episode is horrible. In a good way, when they were putting up the wallpaper and "fixing" the teddy bears is simply brilliant :)

That's hilarious! Laughing out loud

Yes that's one of my most favourite moments ever, really clever and probably would be instantly edited out the normal BBC Three output.

I liked the look of this when they talked about it on the Comedy Vault prog the other day. Should I get the DVD?

Yes - me too. I remember people had mentioned it on here before and because I liked Julia Davis's work I wanted to see it.

Incidentally she married that bloke from the Boosh didn't she? Anyone know what he's up to these days?

If you liked Human Remains, you would also like A Small Summer Party - it was a one off special with Rob Brydon and Julia Davis again and the same dark humour.

Also, Chappers, Julia Davis had a new sitcom out recently called Hunderby - I think it was on Sky but it was pretty good.

Human Remains is genius. It's in a category of its own. Superb acting. Great characters and plots. Attention to detail - those little touches like Rob Brydon's tight shorts in the last episode and Julia Davis's horrible glasses in the wife beater one really add something. Loved the first episode ('there was some bullying at Roedean but nothing I regret') & the Brummie B&B owners with their sex dungeon, comatose sister and tiny sherry glasses.

I found the blackness of the last one ('more than happy') a bit much to take at times - it veers between black comedy and outright tragedy - but it's incredibly powerful. All the episodes are good, although I found Rob Brydon's American accent in the Alanis Morrisette one a bit dodgy - although he does a good line in irritating high-pitched chuckles.

Must go back and watch it again.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 13th May 2014, 9:09 PM BST

I liked the look of this when they talked about it on the Comedy Vault prog the other day. Should I get the DVD?

If you liked the look of it, you may as well! It's not exactly expensive...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/1699/human_remains_dvd/

Quote: Mikey88 @ 3rd June 2014, 6:17 PM BST

If you liked Human Remains, you would also like A Small Summer Party - it was a one off special with Rob Brydon and Julia Davis again and the same dark humour.

Also, Chappers, Julia Davis had a new sitcom out recently called Hunderby - I think it was on Sky but it was pretty good.

Sorry to correct you Mikey but Julia Davies isn't in A Small Summer Party. It's a one off prequel to Marion & Geoff (played by the perfectly cast Tracy Ann Oberman and Steve Coogan) where Keith (Brydon) finds out about their affair. It's a special feature on the Marion & Geoff DVD. I can't remember if it's packaged with series 1 or 2.

I also really loved Human Remains. Very rare to see anything of this quality on now without it relying on crudity instead of subtlety. I honestly don't thing the BBC would commission it now. It would probably end up on Sky Atlantic or Sky Arts.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd June 2014, 9:02 PM BST

If you liked the look of it, you may as well! It's not exactly expensive...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/1699/human_remains_dvd/

Ta!

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 3rd June 2014, 10:32 PM BST

Sorry to correct you Mikey but Julia Davies isn't in A Small Summer Party. It's a one off prequel to Marion & Geoff (played by the perfectly cast Tracy Ann Oberman and Steve Coogan) where Keith (Brydon) finds out about their affair. It's a special feature on the Marion & Geoff DVD. I can't remember if it's packaged with series 1 or 2.

I also really loved Human Remains. Very rare to see anything of this quality on now without it relying on crudity instead of subtlety. I honestly don't thing the BBC would commission it now. It would probably end up on Sky Atlantic or Sky Arts.

Oh wasn't she, it was ages ago I watched it - sort of thing she would be in though innit