Channel 4 Comedy Lab deadline 31.10.08 Page 6

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 3:02 PM GMT

It was a sort of sketch/sitcom hybrid I wrote with a friend, structurally a bit like The League Of Gentlemen ie "standalone" sketches featuring recurring characters which "kind of" form a story. See it sounds shit already, even as I'm telling you. And it was on paper. But we had some buy-in from performers (proper actors I've met through things like Sitcom Trials) so we had a "suggested casting document" with photos and actors CVs and stuff which was meant to make us look professional. Anyway. It's probably sitting in a Post Office bin somewhere cos some c**t postie thought there might be some money in the envelope.

What was yours, Dr.Vole?

It fell into a similar bracket in terms of being standalone sketches but with a recurring character. In this case, a young wannabe TV presenter incapable of doing a good job of presenting his rural ways-type regional TV programme.

I appealed for scripts using that format on this forum, and we got some good responses. We recorded one sketch and that tape was submitted as along with a treatment.

Was always a long shot, I guess...

Quote: DrVole @ January 8 2009, 3:13 PM GMT

It fell into a similar bracket in terms of being standalone sketches but with a recurring character. In this case, a young wannabe TV presenter incapable of doing a good job of presenting his rural ways-type regional TV programme.

I appealed for scripts using that format on this forum, and we got some good responses. We recorded one sketch and that tape was submitted as along with a treatment.

Was always a long shot, I guess...

It was a good way of doing it and I enjoyed working on it. I'd be happy to work on any future ideas as well as some of my own ones that I'll try and get done.

Yeah, me too. Even though you didn't use it.

<considers crossing DrVole off 'Grudge List'. Rethinks>

Dan

@contains nuts and Dan:

It was ace to have your input guys - and the fact you were prepared to invest your time in it boosted our confidence that it could work.

Now please wipe me off the grudge list Errr

Don't worry, I'm working my way down. Slowly.

Dan

Quote: DrVole @ January 8 2009, 3:32 PM GMT

Now please wipe me off the grudge list Errr

Don't worry, mine's more of a 'To Kill' list and I wrote it in permanent ink.

Quote: Marc P @ January 8 2009, 1:25 PM GMT

Where does this expression come from? Has anyone ever pissed on a parade? I would imagine that this would be a very brave thing to do as there is only one of you and... I don't know what the exact number is technically... but definitely a lot more than one to qualify as a parade. And they would have you at a disavantage anyway as you are in the process of pissing and consequently not in the best position to defend yourself against an angry mob.

I'm guessing it all started in America.

Good observation Laughing out loud

If it's a genuine question as well, I think the phrase surely derives from "rain on my parade", which no doubt comes from parades being called off due to rain.

As the expression became more focused on individuals "raining" on others' "parades", the verb 'to rain' probably seemed a bit odd - and was substituted for piss.

An equally conceivable reason for the change could be the presence of modern colloquialisms such as "pissing it down", or simply a tendency among some to 'swear-things-up' for bigger laughs.

I was just about to post something similar, but that last one has shat on my fireworks.

Yep, urinated on my bonfire too...

Dan

you've both just come on my tits... no wait, that's wrong...

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 8 2009, 4:29 PM GMT

you've both just come on my tits... no wait, that's wrong...

:O

You know what they say - too many bears are worth one in the bush.

Do bears shit in the Vatican?

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 4:36 PM GMT

It's hard to believe none of us got picked, isn't it.

Aye. Although there seems to be an emphasis on performers in terms of past Comedy Lab successes (Edinburgh experience under their belts etc)- and I guess a lot of BSGers are predominantly writers?

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 4:48 PM GMT

That's not exactly what I meant.

Ah - were you referring to the amazing banter that was going on?

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 4:51 PM GMT

:)

And I wonder why I've got no friends.

Sorry - I was a bit slow on the uptake there matey! :D