Channel 4 Comedy Lab deadline 31.10.08 Page 5

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 12:07 AM GMT

Yeah, but where's the money Danny?

I was taking the 'Kids from Fame' approach to paying... you did get the jar full?

(I'm probably so old that no-one else will get that).

Quote: dannyjb1 @ January 8 2009, 12:09 AM GMT

I was taking the 'Kids from Fame' approach to paying... you did get the jar full?

(I'm probably so old that no-one else will get that).

Don't sweat, I get it.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 4 2009, 11:44 PM GMT

If you haven't heard back on this I'd say your chances are pretty dire.

Have you heard back then Monsieur? Was it good news?

We've not heard anything...

Quote: DrVole @ January 8 2009, 12:01 PM GMT

Have you heard back then Monsieur? Was it good news?

We've not heard anything...

The adage 'No news is good news' springs to mind.

Unless your email went into a spam account - in which case it won't be particularly good.

And yes, that is the first time I've ever used the word 'adage' in my entire life. Big day.

Don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but my experience of these type of things tends to be that successful applicants are notified first. Sometimes there is no reply to this, so previously rejected projects are then shortlisted, lastly the rejections go out. Unless they were immediately rejected...dunno...???

That was probably no help at all.

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 1:18 PM GMT

Then, due to cuts and being short-staffed etc, they take all the remaining "promising" entries and farm them out to production companies to get feedback on quality and costs. C4 then go through this feedback to decide on the shortlist.

Unless a production company took it to them in the first place.

I know of one show that has already taken a slot for this, a sketch show.

Where does this expression come from? Has anyone ever pissed on a parade? I would imagine that this would be a very brave thing to do as there is only one of you and... I don't know what the exact number is technically... but definitely a lot more than one to qualify as a parade. And they would have you at a disavantage anyway as you are in the process of pissing and consequently not in the best position to defend yourself against an angry mob.

I'm guessing it all started in America.

I think my parade is well and truly soaked in urine. What a smelly, yellow procession it is. A wee wee carnival, if you will.

Erm, anyway, we did submit through a prodco, so waiting for them to pass on the official bad news.

Quote: Griff @ January 8 2009, 1:24 PM GMT

Yes that's true. Presumably a prodco would supply costing info as part of their application.

To be honest I imagine it's rare that they pick up anything that doesn't already have Prod. Company backing. I'm sure some have got through, but most would already be attached.

Quote: Marc P @ January 8 2009, 1:25 PM GMT

Where does this expression come from? Has anyone ever pissed on a parade? I would imagine that this would be a very brave thing to do as there is only one of you and... I don't know what the exact number is technically... but definitely a lot more than one to qualify as a parade. And they would have you at a disavantage anyway as you are in the process of pissing and consequently in the best position to defend yourself against an angry mob.

And you'd need a very full bladder indeed to cover the entire parade.

I know of one project that's made the Lab and the writers were informed at least a month ago. They were backed by a prod co as, I suspect, will be all the finalists.

I got a rejection email. And I'm W, so I assume they're notifying everybody alphabetically, and I'm one of the last.

Mind me asking what sort of thing you submitted Griff? Interested in the range of what people put in - sitcom / sketches? On paper / taster tape?

I've already got next year's idea sorted, if it's running again. I won't give too much away, but the working title is 'Piss Carnival'.

Quote: DrVole @ January 8 2009, 2:55 PM GMT

... but the working title is 'Piss Carnival'.

Hello, I believe I am your target audience!

Quote: DrVole @ January 8 2009, 1:25 PM GMT

I think my parade is well and truly soaked in urine. What a smelly, yellow procession it is. A wee wee carnival, if you will.

Erm, anyway, we did submit through a prodco, so waiting for them to pass on the official bad news.

Nooooooooooo! It looked like a fun concept.