Status report Page 6,040

Quote: A Horseradish @ 2nd May 2019, 6:58 PM

What a lovely story. :)

I have never been to a boxing match but I have loads of autographs signed especially for me from famous people like John Conteh and Terry Downes. They were got for me by a local government officer who was also a member of the criminal underworld based at the Manor Place Baths near the Walworth Road. Coincidentally, it was the place where my parents went to bath monthly forty years earlier. Terry Spinks. That is another one. I would need to check - my mind was mainly on East Street Market vegetables at the time - but there might be a dozen in all. Literary boxers. Not sprouts,

Terry Downes was the uncle of the current AFC Wimbledon Manager, Wally of that ilk.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd May 2019, 7:08 PM

Terry Downes was the uncle of the current AFC Wimbledon Manager, Wally of that ilk.

Oddly I hadn't drawn that link but what with Vinny being a mate of his I could have guessed. I don't mind Vinny at all but he is a very modern sort of geezer. Showy and bling - I would call it the old madam - with a lot of deodorant slapped across his pate. I do welcome the ability of tough nuts to burst into tears but not as it has been since 2000 over the design of curtains. I have heard people on Talksport saying that boxing is too full of testosterone for them. This is not a problem for me or body smells, not that I welcome them in the slightest, but I'm very squeamish when it comes to blood. I'm not prepared to have that squirting over me from someone's severed brain and would find it difficult to have any empathy.

Shall we start up our own radio station?

I feel you have a lot to say. :)

(Iain Dale - I just know you are reading this and obsessively checking the LBC database, not that I want to give you any sort of paranoia or the creeps - good luck with the programme at 10PM tonight : you have been given a poison chalice what with London not voting and everywhere else being irrelevant but at least you are not James O'Brien or Darren Adam)

Just to add to your squeamishness. I went to a boxing evening where bomber Graham was on the card.
Bomber Graham knocked his opponent out and halfway through the ropes.
I was in the front row in a rented tux and shirt
The stricken boxer still unconscious was burbling and moaning and bleeding all over me.
It was .... I don't know the right word, but barbaric and yet thrilling.
I had to pay a lot to the dress agency because of the blood.

I spoke to bomber on Twitter about that night. He remembered it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd May 2019, 7:35 PM

Just to add to your squeamishness. I went to a boxing evening where bomber Graham was on the card.
Bomber Graham knocked his opponent out and halfway through the ropes.
I was in the front row in a rented tux and shirt
The stricken boxer still unconscious was burbling and moaning and bleeding all over me.
It was .... I don't know the right word, but barbaric and yet thrilling.
I had to pay a lot to the dress agency because of the blood.

I spoke to bomber on Twitter about that night. He remembered it.

Wonderful recollections, SG.

I now feel that we have been close for decades,

Your photo is beginning to make a lot of sense to me but I can't believe you are not Brexit.

What a fascinating world.

(The slightly troubling thing is that after all these years I feel that I have found my authentic voice) :)

I just had a phone call from Virgin Media. He had a very strong accent so I asked where he was calling from. He said the Phillipines! I really don't get this!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st May 2019, 10:16 AM

If I was to take a good guess... it would be the horrible Kronenburg.
The venue was at a sports centre called The Richard Dunn centre.
Usually when a place or institution is named after someone, it's because they have done worthy or notable things.

Richard Dunn was a scaffolder that worked on the building of this sports centre.
He and his brothers were well known in the area as - shall we say debt collectors and minders.
You did not want them knocking on your door.
Richard was an amatuer boxer that had a chance to fight for money and to be able to call himself a pro boxer.
His style was haymakers and wild swinging.
He connected a few times, usually knocking out his opponent.
By very unusual circumstances, he fought for the british heavyweight title and so earned a crack at the one and only Mohamed Ali.
The fight was comical because Ali was showboating the whole fight. He knocked Dunn down several times but he always gamely got back up to take more.
Watch the last 2 rounds... it gets funnier as it goes on. Especially when Ali points at the floor and tells Dunn he is going down for good in this round.

Great story and he gave it a good go. I like boxing when it's a title fight and watched it a lot in the 90s when Tyson was knocking out opponents in the first round. I felt sorry for Bruno when he took him on. The 1990 Benn vs Eubank fight was an epic battle fuelled by Benn's rage inducing hatred of Eubank.

One thing I've learned in life is to never spill the pint of someone with a boxers nose.

Pissed off. Still recovering from one hernia and now I discover there's another one..That's what I get for climbing trees and turning cartwheels at my age.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd May 2019, 4:50 PM

I just had a phone call from Virgin Media. He had a very strong accent so I asked where he was calling from. He said the Phillipines! I really don't get this!

Probably a "Support" scam, i.e. a fake.

Extracted from the BCG Only Connect thread as going off subject :-

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 3rd May 2019, 11:07 AM

Nice one. I remember looking forward to winning a goldfish at fairs...and (being a bit thick) forgetting every single time to win it at the end, to avoid it being stuck in the bag until I got home (my dad kept goldfish, so he always got one as a gift when I got back). I remember me and a friend on the waltzer being slapped about for at least ten minutes by a swinging bladder of water, as the 'look at me everyone, I work on a fair' guys tried their hardest to make us all scream as we span around really fast, trying to keep our heads on!

So reminds me of one of the most hilarious if not very dangerous incidents that happened to a best mate of mine in about 1960 when we went to the annual fair that used to turn up once a year by the river where there now stands a DIY store.

Phil and I were dead cool and went on one of these, which goes up and down as well round and round FAST! (is it a Wurlitzer?) It's not a waltzer as it has fixed seats etc. but you can stand as well, which all the "hard" people like us did, making ourselves look even cooler by not holding on to anything!!!............................

Now Phil was a giggler and once he got going was uncontrollable and it happened on this ride that at the time was going at its peak speed! We joked about something and Phil lost control giggling as he slid to the floor. I told him to stand up and as I went to give him a hand, he just disappeared IN AN INSTANT!

He shot off the ride head first and I was convinced he was a gonna, but as the ride came around to where we were when he disappeared, I couldn't see him. The ride eventually came to an end and I found him upright and still laughing uncontrollably.
How the hell he missed the stanchions of the roof, the odd bits of fancy fencing and the people watching the ride go around is nothing short of a miracle. Apparently (he told me) he even cleared the stairs and didn't touch down until he landed on the grass.

INCREDIBLE!

I like the Dodgems but most fairground rides make me feel sick so I just hang around the arcades chatting up old grannies. The Waltzer was the worst for making me nauseous. It would have been enjoyable if they didn't spin your car around.

Can you remember in the 80s when Jeremy Beadle filmed a load of schoolkids who had to eat a burger meal while on a roller coaster? It was an impossible task and they ended up covered in fries and milkshake so the studio audience were howling with laughter. I just thought it was a bit cruel and could have been dangerous if they started choking. Good old pre-H&S days.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th May 2019, 6:50 PM

I like the Dodgems but most fairground rides make me feel sick so I just hang around the arcades chatting up old grannies. .

So that was you who spoke to me? Such a nice boy you were. Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: Briosaid @ 4th May 2019, 8:45 PM

So that was you who spoke to me? Such a nice boy you were. Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Laughing out loud Thanks for the Sherbet Dip Dab and bag of 2Ps.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th May 2019, 6:50 PM

Can you remember in the 80s when Jeremy Beadle filmed a load of schoolkids who had to eat a burger meal while on a roller coaster?

Yes I do, and it was.....................dare I mention his name?

"Now then, now then guys and gals, 'ows about a group of cubs eating their lunch on a roller coaster" (jewellery, je;wellery, jangle, jangle) on Jim'll Fix It. or were you being super PC? ;)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th May 2019, 12:23 AM

Yes I do, and it was.....................dare I mention his name?

"Now then, now then guys and gals, 'ows about a group of cubs eating their lunch on a roller coaster" (jewellery, je;wellery, jangle, jangle) on Jim'll Fix It. or were you being super PC? ;)

Of course it was now I remember! It sounded like something Jeremy would do. They could have done the same roller coaster challenge every week. Group of OAPs have to try and Crochet or team of quizzers have to do a crossword puzzle. The possibilities are endless.