Status report Page 6,010

Well done: would like to look at some of your work. Don't worry if not

I'd like to read it too.

I've been writing totally awful episodic fiction of some sort for the past several months rather obsessively or manicly...though I've been dreadfully depressed for most of that time. I think I'm over 40 episodes each at between 20-30,000 words each. Not to be read by anyone ever. Just for me. So awful.

Hi Davida, my condolences for the loss of your grandma. It was nice that you spent time with her at the end because that must be of some comfort. Great to see you are going back to Blighty and at the Fringe again and I can't believe it's been almost a year because when you went last year and provided such extensive analysis I said to myself I am there in 2018 but I've not planned anything so 2019 it is! Look in to the different visas you can get because one that allows you to work would be ideal or there might be one that has an educational value and don't you have two degrees? I don't know many people with two degress. You could visit for research as part of a university research project and perhaps be eligible for funding with grants. Or maybe a work placement with a UK based business that provides government funding. Who knows but it's worth looking in to for some obscure benefit you could use as you could then use visas instead of relying on a Welsh lad who says he will marry you just to get you in the country. I think your academic background alone makes you far too revered to have to marry in to this dive and the pratical effects of Brexit makes it even less desirable.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm fairly convinced both my degrees are useless. I've had 15 or so jobs now and having a B.A. in philosophy is definitely not what landed me any of them. My graduate degree in gerontology just doesn't actually qualify me for any existing jobs. I have thought about trying to get a scholarship to do a PhD in philosophy in the UK. I had the highest possible marks possible in my major. 4.0 or all As even having taken 4 or 5 extra 4th year seminars (starting as a sophomore) and doing independent studies cowriting for journals with my professors on the side, tutoring philosophy, and I was the only one in my four years there who managed to graduate with departmental honours by successfully defending my honors thesis in front of the entire department. I think my department was ranked like 14th in the nation for undergrad philosophy programmes at the time and 3 of my close friends got into The Univesity of Arizona PhD programme which was ranked top 10 when they applied and has loads of famous philosophers and such. My professors loved me and we were very close. I house sat for one for a month once and (and looked after his dying cat), and walked one professors dog (also dying...both now dead, sadly) everytime he was out of town, i went to dinner parties with them, we had a summertime philosophical film hangout club in the summers, two of them came to multiple house parties that my philosophy bestie put on (they snoked weed and hillarity ensued). I got in touch with one of them a couple of months ago and asked her if she thought I'd have a chance of getting into a programme in the UK and asked if she and two other (famous) professors might still be willing to write letters of recommendation. She said she would and wanted to meet up with me to discuss options (she has ties to a lot of scotish philosophy randomly) so she has some possible ins for me. But the next day I got a job and didn't proceed further with the idea. I don't know if it's something I want to pursue or not right now but it is an option.

There's a grave in Highgate Cemetry inscribed with:

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.

:)

Ben is craving a Bleecker burger. Unfortunately, the nearest Bleecker stall is about 80 miles away. And probably shut now.

Quote: Ben @ 24th June 2018, 8:01 PM

Ben is craving a Bleecker burger. Unfortunately, the nearest Bleecker stall is about 80 miles away. And probably shut now.

What the f**k?

Quote: Chappers @ 24th June 2018, 8:26 PM

What the f**k?

Have you ever considered Googling things that you don't understand?

We don't live in c**ting London

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 24th June 2018, 10:12 PM

We don't live in c**ting London

Nor do I. In fact, Chappers lives closer to London than I do. So, I'm not really sure what your point is.

Quote: Ben @ 24th June 2018, 9:02 PM

I just did and those look like very good burgers. I had the worst burger of my life in England in 2002, so it looks like you guys have stepped your game up admirably. Hopefully your Mexican food is also improving. :)

Quote: DaButt @ 25th June 2018, 12:06 AM

I just did and those look like very good burgers. I had the worst burger of my life in England in 2002, so it looks like you guys have stepped your game up admirably. Hopefully your Mexican food is also improving. :)

If you're in London again then head straight to Bleeckers! There's a burger revolution going on here.

Quote: Ben @ 25th June 2018, 7:43 AM

There's a burger revolution going on here.

The burgers are revolting ? Try a pie.

Quote: Ben @ 24th June 2018, 9:02 PM

No. You shouldn't take it for granted that everyone is hip and cool like you. How I hate those sort of phrases!

On the way to work this morning I saw a poor little dog that I assumed had been hit by a car and could see it's paws under a sheet that had been placed over it. Poor little thing :( There was a police car parked up with it's lights on and the officer was talking to a lady who had a dog on a lead and she looked visibly upset but no other cars there. I'm not sure why the police attended but I think it's an offence to hit a dog and not report it. Keep thinking about it's family and how painful it must be for them tonight.

And The Old Man from Pawn Stars passed away this morning aged 77. I wanted to go to Vegas and meet him.