Status report Page 5,984

Quote: Davida @ 30th August 2017, 2:38 AM

I got a job!......Here's a serious question though. I have two more job interviews lined up for the next two days for (low paying) caregiver jobs. Should I even bother going to the interviews? If they were to offer me a job could I table it and say, 'not right now, thanks, but I might be available to work for you sometime in the near future?' Or does it not work like that?

Well done on the job Davida, it sounds great.
Having recruited I would say most would be annoyed if they knew you attended an interview with no intention of taking it, because it waists their valuable time. Time is money and all that. So make sure they don't know that. But you could tell them you are very interested but have been given an offer you can't refuse, so can they keep you CV on file. Normally companies can't wait for staff, they need to recruit today, but if the new person doesn't work out, good (private) employers will get them out quick and then go back to recent CVs or ones on file. It saves the cost of new adverts and time waiting for new CVs. If the jobs are similar, could you get both and then use the other as leverage to get more money ? We negotiate best if we can walk away. The only caveat to that is if you're in a small business sector where everyone else knows each other, recruiters do talk to each other (off the record) so keep that in mind. I hope that helps.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th August 2017, 11:44 PM

More than a network issue.

For years I have been happy with Virgin (previous NTL), and on reflection it is my son I suppose who is indirectly causing my two now major problems

Virgin had an offer whereby if you took on one of their Tivo boxes they would knock off about £5 a month AND (where my son comes in) give you 200 mbps internet speed. (previously 100, which I was quite happy with). OK, so we now have a nice fast internet speed BUT the Tivo box is crap in that it is technically inferior to the old V+ box.

Secondly, and most piss grippingly, about 4 years ago my son cancelled one of his email addresses and now for the last six months we have been getting a letter from Virgin to say that that email address is being used for spam and that they have changed all our passwords for security reasons. WHY this should all surface 4 years later is anyone's guess and you would have thought a simple phone call would resolve the issue BUT NO. We get promises via an Indian call centre, then one in the UK that Yes, the email address is definitely deleted and we should get no more trouble, but this is all a load of bollocks because here we are six months later and still have the same problem. The outcome being that every week they change our passwords and nobody does f**k all about it. The security department that actions this has no phone number available and the f**king twats we speak to on the phone do not communicate the problem to them - just make empty promises that it will not happen again....................but it does..............every week................for six months.

That sounds like a real pain in the arris Herc and it's one of the reasons I'm worried about entering in to a contract with a supplier because if I had a fault that they didn't seem bothered about it would drive me crazy. If they appeared bothered and promised to sort it out but then didn't that would make me Incredible Hulk crazy.

I had a look on the Virgin Media community board and there are a lot of people with the same issue and it looks like the company has had a widespread problem since they moved their mail servers to a new provider. Since then customers including former NTL customers are finding their accounts being affected by spammers so are constantly being locked out or being forced to change their passwords and nothing they do seems to be resolving it.

It sounds like your sons email address has been spoofed so his account hasn't been hacked in the sense of someone logging in to it but the address is being used as a spoof email address for spammers and this causes a Backscatter. This is when the spam hits the recipient mail servers which say "hang on you're clearly spam so f**k off. I'm blocking this as spam before it can reach the recipient and I'm going to bounce the email back to let you know you failed you loser".

The bounceback ise sent to the innocent spoofed email address (your son's email address) so the Virgin Media mail servers are bombarded with spam bouncbacks and this is known as a Backscatter effect. Virgin Media will have automated systems that identify your son's email address as sending bulk spam and will implement sanctions such as locking out, suspension, deletion etc. It can be very difficult or impossible to resolve this because these kinds of protective measures are hardcoded so it's not like someone can manually change it. Everyone you speak to probably knows this but they have been instructed to gloss over that small fact.

What that means is that because your son's account hasn't actually been hacked it's unlikely changing it's password to or changing the password reminder questions or even deleting it will do any good. It's still worth a try though so if the mailbox is still available to log in to and you can reset the password try that and make it a very tough password. If you can change the account lock out reminder questions do that as well and wait to see if it fixes it. If the account isn't available anymore then obviously you can't do that so I think the only option is something I saw on the Virgin Media boards from someone who said he has seen this issue being reported and ignored for a very long time.

He said that the email service with Virgin Media is a free service which comes with the internet connection so they are dragging their heels recognising they have a big issue to fix on their hands. It might take a bit of effort to do but he said the best option is to probably stop using Virgin Media for email and use a free service like gmail, yahoo, etc. It might be a hard slog to do but in the long run it will probably be less stressful.

Quote: Firkin @ 30th August 2017, 9:37 AM

Well done on the job Davida, it sounds great.
Having recruited I would say most would be annoyed if they knew you attended an interview with no intention of taking it, because it waists their valuable time. Time is money and all that. So make sure they don't know that. But you could tell them you are very interested but have been given an offer you can't refuse, so can they keep you CV on file. Normally companies can't wait for staff, they need to recruit today, but if the new person doesn't work out, good (private) employers will get them out quick and then go back to recent CVs or ones on file. It saves the cost of new adverts and time waiting for new CVs. If the jobs are similar, could you get both and then use the other as leverage to get more money ? We negotiate best if we can walk away. The only caveat to that is if you're in a small business sector where everyone else knows each other, recruiters do talk to each other (off the record) so keep that in mind. I hope that helps.

I phoned them and said I've accepted another offer and asked if they could keep my application on file. They thanked me for letting them know I wouldn't be coming in and said they'd keep me on file. At that job I'm sure they're always hiring. It's caregiving so the turnover rate is nuts.

So if this marketing thing doesn't pan out I have a decent backup plan in place.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe the other interviewee girl was a plant, deliberately there to put you off your stride & see whether you would adopt her strange ideas.

Quote: billwill @ 31st August 2017, 7:51 PM

Maybe the other interviewee girl was a plant, deliberately there to put you off your stride & see whether you would adopt her strange ideas.

If I see her in the office (and she suddenly doesn't seem like a sociopath) then I might buy your conspiracy theory. There's no way she got the job if she's a real person.

Ben needs to go down the gym.

...... and a haircut

:P

I really need a haircut. I wish I hadn't dyed my hair black months and months ago in a vain attempt to look like Vic Reeves circa 1991 when I got my now-not-so-new Vic Reeves style glasses. I didn't realise how hard it is to un-dye your hair black. Now it's just half light-brown and half black and I look like a tramp most of the time.

Can't afford a haircut though. I could shave it all off... don't think my new employer would appreciate that though unless I can pass it off as a chemo thing. That would be good for sales, wouldn't it? But I'm not a horrible person. (Just a bit of one).

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd September 2017, 9:13 PM

...... and a haircut

:P

Has he still got that scruffy patch of stubble he tries to pass off as a beard?

I accidentally found a Dave Gorman (well a David Gorman) today who was one of the original Dave Gormans gathered together and photographed by the comedian Dave Gorman in Are You Dave Gorman? Not the most exciting achievement as I found him as an acquaintance of an acquaintance on facebook, through a thread about a college friend of mine running a 10k, so in an entirely non-comedy setting, but I still found it slightly exciting.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd September 2017, 11:00 PM

Has he still got that scruffy patch of stubble he tries to pass off as a beard?

I'm probably one of the more hirsute men on this board, young lady.

My money would be on Lazzard, Av sin im on't telly tother week. - he looked pretty hairy to me. :)

Quote: Ben @ 4th September 2017, 12:19 PM

I'm probably one of the more hirsute men on this board, young lady.

We only have your word for that - there's not even an avatar now...................... Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th September 2017, 3:32 PM

We only have your word for that - there's not even an avatar now...................... Whistling nnocently

Those who want to come and see my beard are more than welcome to visit me at my home. And if you want your photo taken with the beard, I would only be too happy to oblige.

Quote: Ben @ 4th September 2017, 5:23 PM

Those who want to come and see my beard are more than welcome to visit me at my home. And if you want your photo taken with the beard, I would only be too happy to oblige.

Would you take it off for us? Presumably it has hooks to go over the ears.