Status report Page 5,966

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th May 2017, 6:43 PM

There is a filter on every machine
It is at the front on the bottom of the machine.
It will look like something you can unscrew.
Put a towel barrier down first because if it's blocked the trapped water will gush out.
Clean the filter and remove foreign objects and if you are lucky, all will be well again

ah I've done that a few times and there wasn't any gunk but a lot of water would pour out when I removed it after every wash. When the washing machine is draining it makes a loud grinding noise which seems to last longer and longer over the last few months. I'm hoping it's because it's struggling to drain in to the sink pipe rather than a fault or blockage with the machine.

Sounds like something caught in the pump, usually a coin or something out of pockets.
But like you say, could be blocked farther down.
The grinding noise is usually something stuck in the impeller - double check that

Chip's been looking through his old notebooks today. From a box in the cupboard. They go back twenty odd years. They might have some great ideas/observations etc, but he can't read half of the handwriting.

Chip needs a secretary.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th May 2017, 6:43 PM

There is a filter on every machine
It is at the front on the bottom of the machine.
It will look like something you can unscrew.
Put a towel barrier down first because if it's blocked the trapped water will gush out.
Clean the filter and remove foreign objects and if you are lucky, all will be well again

In my laundry washer the filter is as he says, at bottom left, but it is covered with a decorative clip on panel, which when inverted can be used to catch water coming out.

Yes you should turn off the water and unplug the electricity before pulling the machine out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I take it that your outlet pipe is plumbed directly into the waste pipe. In a lot of cases it is merely an open pipe vertical about 3 ft high, with an s-bend at the bottom. The outlet pipe of the machine merely drapes into the vertical pipe.

I would think you kitchen sink has draining problems too with what you describe. Have you tried one of those big rubber sucker/plunger thingies.

All this discussion is taking too long, you have probably sorted it by now, If the machine has its own S-bend fitting it should not take long, but will be messy and smelly to take it off clean it and put it back.

Avoid making the classic mistake of washing it in the kitchen sink, if that shares the waste pipe.

Quote: chipolata @ 19th May 2017, 10:46 AM

Chip's been riding a girls bike to work this week. Proudly.

So the operation was a success then.

Laughing out loud

Wave @ Chip

Just been out for a run and found a £20 note on the pavement. Which was nice.

Quote: billwill @ 20th May 2017, 3:11 PM

In my laundry washer the filter is as he says, at bottom left, but it is covered with a decorative clip on panel, which when inverted can be used to catch water coming out.

Yes you should turn off the water and unplug the electricity before pulling the machine out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I take it that your outlet pipe is plumbed directly into the waste pipe. In a lot of cases it is merely an open pipe vertical about 3 ft high, with an s-bend at the bottom. The outlet pipe of the machine merely drapes into the vertical pipe.

I would think you kitchen sink has draining problems too with what you describe. Have you tried one of those big rubber sucker/plunger thingies.

All this discussion is taking too long, you have probably sorted it by now, If the machine has its own S-bend fitting it should not take long, but will be messy and smelly to take it off clean it and put it back.

Avoid making the classic mistake of washing it in the kitchen sink, if that shares the waste pipe.

Cheers for the advice :) I'm going to have to open up the machine so will make sure I turn off the main water tap and will turn off the electricity mains because the washing machine is connected to a wall socket that I can't remove like a normal plug. I removed the waste pipe under the sink on Friday and was surprised to see it was completely clear. I also unplugged the pipe from the washing machine that connects to the pipe under the sink and that was also clear. I then run a few quick washing cycles and stuck my head under the sink during the draining cycle and could hear the water gushing down so it doesn't seem like a draining problem. The machine is still making the loud noise and it seems to go on for 30 seconds or more after the drum has drained so it must be a blockage somewhere inside.

I like to troubleshoot stuff instead of letting it break forcing me to buy a new one but I'm scared of anything that uses water pipes which is why I've been putting it off for so long. I've downloaded the PDF manual for the machine and am going to pull it out at the weekend. To make it fun I'll pretend I'm a surgeon operating on a very sick washing machine and it's touch and go.

In my case I can see the impellor of the pump at the back of the filter cavity after I take the filter out.

That is where the impeller always lives Bill will.
A nylon disk with fins to pump the water.
(And probably the source of the noise)
Something will be trapped there and the fins will be striking it.

My bet is a 10 pence piece.

Quote: Will Cam @ 23rd May 2017, 10:23 AM

My bet is a 10 pence piece.

I see your ten pence and raise you one of the new £1 coins.

Quote: billwill @ 23rd May 2017, 2:44 AM

In my case I can see the impellor of the pump at the back of the filter cavity after I take the filter out.

Is this in a foreign language?

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd May 2017, 6:32 PM

Is this in a foreign language?

Yup, engineerese.

:)