Absolutely Page 6

Fred, on the off-chance that you've not ordered it, I've updated the link. Please use the new one to purchase through!

I have been watching this recently and I'm sorry to have to say that it really isn't all that hot. Don't get me wrong, some of the sketches were very, very funny but most of them were just petered out lamely. In fact, in my opinion, some of the skits looked like rejected 'Naked Video' sketches.

Quote: Danny @ September 29 2010, 12:22 PM BST

I have been watching this recently and I'm sorry to have to say that it really isn't all that hot. Don't get me wrong, some of the sketches were very, very funny but most of them were just petered out lamely. In fact, in my opinion, some of the skits looked like rejected 'Naked Video' sketches.

I know what you mean Danny, but I defy any sketch show to stand up after 20/30/40 years. Python certainly doesn't. At the time it went out, Absolutely was top stuff.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 12:59 PM BST

I know what you mean Danny, but I defy any sketch show to stand up after 20/30/40 years. Python certainly doesn't. At the time it went out, Absolutely was top stuff.

A Bit Of Fry And Laurie started twenty years ago, still great now, as is what's left of, the very, very old Not Only But Also. So suck on those two, Lucas!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 29 2010, 1:10 PM BST

A Bit Of Fry And Laurie started twenty years ago, still great now, as is what's left of, the very, very old Not Only But Also. So suck on those two, Lucas!

Always exceptions that prove the rule, Matthew. Probably. And no, I will not be sucking on anything, thank you very much indeed.

Quote: Aaron @ April 25 2009, 12:25 AM BST

Fred, on the off-chance that you've not ordered it, I've updated the link. Please use the new one to purchase through!

Ahem
It's Steve now please.

I still haven't bought it, but did watch a couple on Virgin.
maybe it has dated a bit, but I still think it was very good.
I liked Naked Video as well in it's day, but the two shows are poles apart in terms of style.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 29 2010, 1:10 PM BST

The first two series of A Bit Of Fry And Laurie were very good. The subsequent two were mostly mediocre/poor. Suck on that, Stott, with your permanently ready-for-action, stretch-marked lips. :)

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 29 2010, 10:32 PM BST

Ahem
It's Steve now please.

Evidently it wasn't when I posted that 18 months ago though!

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 29 2010, 11:32 PM BST

The first two series of A Bit Of Fry And Laurie were very good. The subsequent two were mostly mediocre/poor. Suck on that, Stott, with your permanently ready-for-action, stretch-marked lips. :)

I like it all, you hear me? All!

Sorry to repeat myself, but I think Python's Flying Circus stands up very well, especially when you consider some of it's over 40 years old! I'm a huge 'Young Ones' fan but I admit that's far more dated.
I remember being disappointed by the third Fry and Laurie series, especially after the calibre of the second. Never caught the fourth one, maybe it's better that way.
And back on topic - I loved 'Absolutely' but haven't been back there since the nineties so, um, can't really comment.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ November 3 2010, 4:22 PM GMT

Sorry to repeat myself, but I think Python's Flying Circus stands up very well, especially when you consider some of it's over 40 years old!

There are lots of great, great sketches, obviously; but there's also a f**k of a lot of really boring bits.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 3 2010, 4:25 PM GMT

There are lots of great, great sketches, obviously; but there's also a f**k of a lot of really boring bits.

I agree some of it drags a tad. But as I say, rediscovering it I was pleasantly surprised.

I bought the box set but I've no idea if it's here. I only watched a couple of episodes when I first bought it and forgot about it.

The worst bits in Absolutely were when they tried to do some "worthy" comedy - social or political. The stuff that was merely silly worked far better.

By the way, how is John Sparks thesedays? Is he still alive and working? Errr

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 5 2010, 4:02 PM GMT

By the way, how is John Sparks thesedays? Is he still alive and working? Errr

He is now very popular with the under-fives as the voice of Fireman Sam and Peppa Pig!