Absolutely Page 3

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 7, 2008, 9:12 PM

Some of the 'Absolutely' team also went on to do a less-than-brilliant sitcom series about a bunch of advertising execs, entitled 'The Creatives', am I right?

Ooh - that's a distant memory.

I'm on the mailing list and just got the email from Gordon too.

Remember Jack Docherty's chat show? He had the lad off the old Oxo adverts leading his House Band.

Yes!

I really liked it.

Bring him back!!
It would fit right in on BBC3 or 4 or summink.

I remember once, when I think Phil Jupitus was standing in for Docherty, there was some American stand up comedian sitting on the couch, and he told this joke about having a conversation whilst sitting on a toilet doing a shit, which got the longest audience laugh I've ever heard. Then, a few weeks later, there was a Jim Davidson stand up show on T.V., and he told the same joke, after having obviously seen the show and stolen it. Channel 5 was still under a year old back then, and a lot of people had trouble receiving the channel on their T.V.s, so Davidson probably thought the ratings would be so low, that he might as well steal it.

Actually, wasn't it Jim Davidson who famously stole a Jimmy Carr joke a few years ago, for which Jimmy Carr sued him?

Yes.

He is scum in every possible way!

Quote: catskillz @ February 9, 2008, 2:22 PM

I remember once ... there was some American stand up comedian sitting on the couch, and he told this joke about having a conversation whilst sitting on a toilet doing a shit ... a few weeks later, there was a Jim Davidson stand up show on T.V., and he told the same joke, after having obviously seen the show and stolen it.

Is it not possible that Jim Davidson's programme had been recorded previously?

In any case it's not like comedians ever re-use jokes when they're on the TV, is it?

How DARE you give him the benefit of the doubt!

Laughing out loud

(Don't worry. If you want to hate him, I'm sure that there are plenty of other reasons you can use for justification.)

Quote: catskillz @ February 9, 2008, 2:22 PM

Actually, wasn't it Jim Davidson who famously stole a Jimmy Carr joke a few years ago, for which Jimmy Carr sued him?

Can you sue someone for stealing a joke? I thought it would be pretty well-nigh impossible. I remember Clive Anderson & Angus Deayton making an almost identical joke about the channel tunnel on one weekend. There's also a brief scene with a fortune teller and some tarot cards in a Father Ted episode which is nearly word for word the same as a similar scene in a Terry Pratchett novel; some jokes almost write themselves if you think along the same lines.

Although I remember a Morecombe and Wise sketch where their bank manager was trying to palm off his jokes on the duo and Eric tells him to send it to Jimmy Tarbuck instead.

Bank Manager. Would he use my material?
Morecombe. Don't see why not. He uses everyone elses.

Classic line. :D

More than one mind may think of the same joke, especially topical ones.

In my opinion, bad/mediocre/good jokes being innocently duplicated are common.

If you hear a really brilliant, original, well-crafted joke used by two comedians, then those are the jokes more likely to have been nicked.

I just got this and now you have it also.

Dear Members of the Absolutely Box Set DVD mailing list(Its a snappy name for a mailing list isn't it),

Here is a copy of the message put up the site this afternoon for your information.

Best wishes

Gordon

The Absolutely Box Set release date has been changed today to the 28th April 2008.
Text:
Firstly many, many thanks to all of the people who sent in comments and suggestions about the Box Set. The response has been unbelievable and really really helpful. We are currently working extremely hard to make sure that the Box Set is going to as brilliant as you all deserve.

We have had a few problems with the transfer of the shows from Channel 4 to Fremantle, our distributors, which has led to delays in the manufacturing process which means we have had to put the release back by a week. The new release date is April 28th.

Next week we will be releasing details of the Box set title and hopefully news of extras you can expect to see in the package.

In the next 2 weeks we hope to have a new Box set page set up on the site so that you can see all the latest news and get some little video tasters leading up to launch day.

Once again thank you all for your incredible enthusiasm and interest and apologies for the slight delay.

Best wishes

The Absolutely Team

Right - the Absolutely Everything Box set (4 series) is out on 28th April. £37 approx or cheaper £27 ish from Amazon.

Correct.

See Amazon product listing [p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/4969676/Absolutely-Everything-/Product.html]