Harry Enfield - Racist? Sexist? Northernist? Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:09 PM BST

Actually it's the Philipino embasssy and community complaining.

So that's diferent.

And of course the guardians of public morality, but then they're never happy.

Is it different?

Are you sure?

Perhaps it's the PC types at the Embassy and in their community that are complaining?

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 8 2008, 1:10 PM BST

Tommy don't you think racism is often in the eye of the beholder though, at least with some folks. Not necessarily you, just generally.

Frankie that's insane.

If that was true Nuremberg would have ended with some one saying, I didn't think I was being antisemitic.

The sketch implies negative traits on an ethnic group ego it's racist.

The question is it acceptably so?

I'd say it is acceptable. it's funny and makes a much stronger dig at over priveleged wealthy tossers.

But it doesn't stop it being racist.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 8 2008, 1:11 PM BST

Is it different?

Are you sure?

Perhaps it's the PC types at the Embassy and in their community that are complaining?

That I highly doubt, it's more an issue of national pride.

It's more like if the US celebrated independence day by burning British effigies, and having national call a Brit a wanker day.

Our objections probably wouldn't be PC.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:14 PM BST

Frankie that's insane.

If that was true Nuremberg would have ended with some one saying, I didn't think I was being antisemitic.

The question is it acceptably so?

I'd say it is acceptable. it's funny and makes a much stronger dig at over priveleged wealthy tossers.

But it doesn't stop it being racist.

Insane, moo-ho-ho-ho!!!

I am not sure I recognise racism in the general way that you do. I recognise racial discrimination and abhor it. But I personally can make fun of race without feeling guilty or vindictive, even though I would never discriminate against someone because of their race. Race is funny, and ridiculous. Every human is human to me. Race is just a human stupidity.

I worked with a bunch of Philipinos over the year.

They hate the whole image of survile silent maids to the upper classes.

I suspect they'd hate the sketch and consider it racist.

Being compared to an animal is a hefty insult in almost all cultures.

Certainly the BBC would bottle any similar sketch about Muslims.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:15 PM BST

That I highly doubt, it's more an issue of national pride.

It's more like if the US celebrated independence day by burning British effigies, and having national call a Brit a wanker day.

Our objections probably wouldn't be PC.

I am no lover of National Pride. It's another human nonsense. One Earth, no boundaries, one race - the human race.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:21 PM BST

I worked with a bunch of Philipinos over the year.

They hate the whole image of survile silent maids to the upper classes.

I suspect they'd hate the sketch and consider it racist.

Being compared to an animal is a hefty insult in almost all cultures.

The English, especially young English people, have the image abroad of being alcoholics. That's because we drink a lot. I don't drink that much myself and I'm not upset by that 'stereotype' of the English because I recognise it's based to some extent on reality, as are all stereotypes.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 8 2008, 1:10 PM BST

Tommy don't you think racism is often in the eye of the beholder though, at least with some folks. Not necessarily you, just generally.

I don't think it's as bad as all that, but I can definitely see why Filipinos would be offended by this sketch. It does reinforce a derogatory stereotype.

I might be more aware of it because we have a more prominent oriental community here than in the UK. It reminded me of Frankie Boyle on MTW when he shouted gibberish to imitate "Chinese" (David Mitchell said something quite funny afterwards). If my memory serves, Adam Hills was on that episode and he looked rather uncomfortable. You're right though, it is in the eye of the beholder. We all have different sensibilities. But I think Enfield should have realised this sketch could offend people.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:21 PM BST

Exactly! Over here it's the other way around - Brits are more aware of South Asian interests than East Asian.

Does it matter if some people are offended by Harry Enfield's sketch?

I say that it doesn't and if they are offended they should simply boycott Harry Enfield's 'product'. If enough people are truly offended then he'll be off the telly, won't he?

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 8 2008, 1:30 PM BST

But I think Enfield should have realised this sketch could offend people.

I expect he did, and that's why they wrote it and included it.

Much like 90% of my posts.

And plenty of mine too... it's fun to upset the uppity, if one can! ;)

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:15 PM BST

No it doesn't. It implies that ONE person works as a maid. If there had been a huge crowd of people all dressed and working as maids and whatnot, and they were specifically identified as being Filipino, THEN it could be argued as being against a whole group.

Of course, if one person represents a whole community, then let's slaughter every asian because they might be planning to bomb us.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 8 2008, 1:39 PM BST

And plenty of mine too... it's fun to upset the uppity, if one can! ;)

Prezunctly. :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 8 2008, 1:29 PM BST

The English, especially young English people, have the image abroad of being alcoholics. That's because we drink a lot. I don't drink that much myself and I'm not upset by that 'stereotype' of the English because I recognise it's based to some extent on reality, as are all stereotypes.

It's a valid point Frankie, but when we take into account the Philippines' history of Western colonialism, European and American domination, poverty etc., we can see it may be rather hurtful.

The stereotype of drinking a lot and the stereotype of poverty and servitude have radically different connotations. Also note the suggestion in this sketch of Filipino females' sexual submissiveness - although it is poking fun at that notion, I think it misses the mark somewhat. For comedy to poke fun at stereotypes, those stereotypes must be entrenched. The whole thing leaves me uneasy, because it openly demonstrates to Filipinos the way in which a lot of the white community perceives them.

It could have been anyone. A French maid? A Swedish au pair? What a fuss over nothing.

Quote: Aaron @ October 8 2008, 1:39 PM BST

No it doesn't. It implies that ONE person works as a maid. If there had been a huge crowd of people all dressed and working as maids and whatnot, and they were specifically identified as being Filipino, THEN it could be argued as being against a whole group.

Prezunctly. :)

Hmm so as long as you show one racist stereotype at a time that's not racist?

Are you being ironic?

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 8 2008, 1:43 PM BST

It's a valid point Frankie, but when we take into account the Philippines' history of Western colonialism, European and American domination, poverty etc., we can see it may be rather hurtful.

The stereotype of drinking a lot and the stereotype of poverty and servitude have radically different connotations. Also note the suggestion in this sketch of Filipino females' sexual submissiveness - although it is poking fun at that notion, I think it misses the mark somewhat. For comedy to poke fun at stereotypes, those stereotypes must be entrenched. The whole thing leaves me uneasy, because it openly demonstrates to Filipinos the way in which a lot of the white community perceives them.

Fair comment, Tommy.

But we can't change the past. Protesting against a sketch isn't the answer for the Filipinos in my view. Laughing at it and in tandem offering some postive alternative view of their own community would be more likely to win me over. Can't speak for anyone else but right now, in my eyes, the ones who are complaining aren't gaining my symapthy or empathy.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 8 2008, 1:08 PM BST

As a Northerner, I think the target of the sketch was meant to be the somewhat prejudiced views of middle-class Southerners towards both Northerners and those from abroad. It is meant to be mocking those attitudes.

What I find interesting is that no-one seems to have minded the sketch when it just made fun of Northerners.

I'm a northerner too, and I feel completely oppressed by Harry 'so-called comedian' Enfield. Southerners might think from this sketch that we're all bloody Geordies. Outrageous!
:D