Harry Enfield - Racist? Sexist? Northernist?

Apparently, Harry Enfield has upset the Phillipino Embassy because the sketch featuring the maid and the northerner.

Who was the butt of the joke? Was it racist? Was it sexist? Was it northernist?

Or was it, as I think, a joke about the upper classes treating the working class and foreigners in the way they used to treat animals in the pre-hunting ban days?

The criticism of Harry Enfield is the PC types ranting again. No more, no less.

*Yawn* at PC types ranting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgztXCPCDQ

I laughed and then felt a bit guilty.

It's certainly funny and mocking arrogant middle class sensibilities.

But frankly if I was the Philipino President I'd be contemplating bombing Harry Enfield.

I should think Harry and Paul are delighted with the backlash, as it'll only boost ratings. For me, the gag is quite clearly taking a pop at the upper classes and their attitudes to foreigners and the working classes in general, and has nothing at all to do with Philipino maids. And anyone that phoned in to complain about the scene are effectively buying Harry and Paul a very large drink.

That said it does promote the stereotype of the survile Philipino, who's essentially a slave of their employers.

If the Phillipino's them selves don't like this, it should at least be respected.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 11:11 AM BST

That said it does promote the stereotype of the survile Philipino, who's essentially a slave of their employers.

Is there such a stereotype? I'm not aware of it.

Yup it's actually disapeared a bit (I think there were a bunch of complaints some time ago)

Victoria Wood did a series where one of her mates had 2 Philipino maids were always silent.

The joke being one of them was sex mad.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 12:31 PM BST

Victoria Wood did a series where one of her mates had 2 Philipino maids were always silent.

The joke being one of them was sex mad.

Can you remind me which series that was, please. It doesn't ring any bells.
Hang on a mo! You're not thinking of the TV film 'Pat And Margaret' are you?
Or an episode of 'Victoria Wood Presents..'?

Just watched the sketch, and think it's in pretty bad taste, regardless of the writers' intent. In fact there seems to be a trend in UK comedy to be rather accepting of low-level racism towards east Asians. Haven't really noticed it elsewhere.

I think it was Vicotria Wood presents.

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 11:11 AM BST

If the Phillipino's them selves don't like this, it should at least be respected.

*sighs* You are so P.C. sometimes it hurts Sooty! Looking for insult where there realy isn't any. If anyone was offended by that sketch, then they are idiots. Should I be offended because I'm northern??? It's just silly, really; people need to get a sense of humour.

As a Northerner, I think the target of the sketch was meant to be the somewhat prejudiced views of middle-class Southerners towards both Northerners and those from abroad. It is meant to be mocking those attitudes.

What I find interesting is that no-one seems to have minded the sketch when it just made fun of Northerners.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 8 2008, 10:24 AM BST

The criticism of Harry Enfield is the PC types ranting again. No more, no less.

*Yawn* at PC types ranting.

Actually it's the Philipino embasssy and community complaining.

So that's diferent.

And of course the guardians of public morality, but then they're never happy.

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 8 2008, 1:01 PM BST

Just watched the sketch, and think it's in pretty bad taste, regardless of the writers' intent. In fact there seems to be a trend in UK comedy to be rather accepting of low-level racism towards east Asians. Haven't really noticed it elsewhere.

Tommy don't you think racism is often in the eye of the beholder though, at least with some folks. Not necessarily you, just generally.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 8 2008, 1:08 PM BST

As a Northerner, I think the target of the sketch was meant to be the somewhat prejudiced views of middle-class Southerners towards both Northerners and those from abroad. It is meant to be mocking those attitudes.

What I find interesting is that no-one seems to have minded the sketch when it just made fun of Northerners.

EXACTLY!

Quote: sootyj @ October 8 2008, 1:09 PM BST

Actually it's the Philipino embasssy and community complaining.

So that's diferent.

Sod them.