Reggie Perrin - Series 1 Page 29

A really disappointing series.

Absolutely no substance whatsoever.

I loved it, I hope it gets another series.

Ditto that, Richard. I'd love to see the next stage of Reggie's story. :)

I've just seen the last episode on BBC iPlayer.

A rather laugh-free episode; although it started rather well. Reggie's been downbeat from the first episode, so I rather get downbeat too watching it. The fifth episode was very funny, and the only one which was particularly good, in my opinion. And although there was a nice nod to CJ from Chris at the beginning of the episode, what followed was largely poor in quality.

Just like when they get a new copper in Heartbeat: The new guy tends to be fresh, but all the other characters are old and stale. It's a similar situation here: I'm not sure if one series is enough or not. If it does get a second series, I might watch the first couple of episodes and then stop.

I think we've seen all it's had to offer.

It's not traditional sitcom, is it? Very dark material to be truly sitcom.

In effect, all six episodes have been 'build-up' to what comes next really. Maybe they should have spent one episode doing this whole thing, and started the 'high concept' from episode two.

That said, I did laugh through most of it. Not brilliant by any means, but funny enough to keep watching. Clunes is very different from Rossiter, and I think he needed to be. They did bring it up-to-date very well, particularly things like the 'young, no-clue' boss and fancying your co-worker, as no-one has an affair with their secretary anymore. They're all PAs :)

Funnier than I expected.

The one thing I've wondered through this whole series, and I think I need to voice my concerns is...

HOW SMALL IS NICK MOHAMMED?! He's smaller than Faye Ripley and I was under the impression she was *tiny*!!

Dan

The viewing figures for the final ep were only 2.5m. Obviously the only reason for the dip was the phenomenal number of people watching ITV at the time but it could still spell the end for the show I fear (and other people doubtless hope).

Quote: Nick @ June 1 2009, 10:20 AM BST

The viewing figures for the final ep were only 2.5m.

What was on ITV? Also, summer is traditionally a bad time of the year for TV in terms of audiences. Although I think, regardless of whether you like it, Reggie Perrin has performed pretty well ratings wise. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a second series.

Britains Got Freaks wasn't it?

Yep, 13 million were tuning into that.

Have I Got News For You was also badly affected losing a third of its viewers so hopefully the bosses will take that into account.

Another problem is that there wasn't nearly enough repetition in new Reggie's daily life for him to find them and his co-worker's habits annoying.

The genius of the original series was that Reggie's daily going-to-work routine was filmed with exactly the same camera shots with Rossiter and Yates in the exactly the same positions each time to give the audience a major sense of deja vu.

It also doesn't help that this is one of the most badly acted sitcoms I have ever seen.

Quote: johnny smith @ June 1 2009, 3:47 PM BST

Another problem is that there wasn't nearly enough repetition in new Reggie's daily life for him to find them and his co-worker's habits annoying.

Were the people he was around, his job, and probably his life in general, not enough?

Quote: Nick @ June 1 2009, 10:20 AM BST

The viewing figures for the final ep were only 2.5m. Obviously the only reason for the dip was the phenomenal number of people watching ITV at the time but it could still spell the end for the show I fear (and other people doubtless hope).

You know it has to go ahead. They probably already have an agreement in place.

I didn't like Chris's "One, two, three, four" - nowhere near as good as John Barron's.

I stopped watching it three episodes in. It was okay I thought, but there wasn't enough in it to convince me to carry on watching the rest of the series.

Quote: chipolata @ June 1 2009, 11:49 AM BST

What was on ITV?

Britian's Got Talent. It scored 19 million viewers - the biggest audience for a British talent show ever.

Well, I have to say that it was much better than the crap that airs here this time of year. Now we get stuck with horrible reality shows and the leftovers of shows that were chucked during the year.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but I will say that the ending felt sort of anti-climactic to me. Reggie's tirade made me kind of uncomfortable and I think it had something to do with the hit and miss laugh track.

I'll watch more if it comes back. It would be much better than what's available to watch here, even on a good day.