The Mitchell & Webb Situation

I don't know if anyone has seen this advertised, but a new series of the comedy sketch show starts tonight apparently featuring a host of strange and surreal characters at the very bizarre time of 1:00am on BBC Two... Anyone know why it is airing so late?

Quote: Chickenoriental @ October 4 2008, 5:37 PM BST

I don't know if anyone has seen this advertised, but a new series of the comedy sketch show starts tonight apparently featuring a host of strange and surreal characters at the very bizarre time of 1:00am on BBC Two... Anyone know why it is airing so late?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mitchell_and_Webb_Situation

I've not checked but could it be a first terrestrial airing of this?

Because it was made 7 years ago.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/865763/-/Product.html]
[h=440240]

Quote: Aaron @ October 4 2008, 5:43 PM BST

Because it was made 7 years ago.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/865763/-/Product.html]
[h=440240]

It's quite good. Not great.

That explains a lot then! I wondered why it was on so late! Thanks for the clear up :)

As they freely admit on the DVD extras for the 1st series of That Mitchell & Webb Look, they were very much learning their craft on this series. They also admit to being heavily influenced by A Bit Of Fry & Laurie - not a bad influence as they go, of course.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 4 2008, 5:45 PM BST

It's quite good. Not great.

Very well said.

I have it on DVD. A lot of the sketches were performed again for " That Mitchell and Webb Look ". Would rather watch this than the over hyped heap of shit that Is " Little Britain USA ".

Always remember that Mitchell & Webb also had a significant contribution in the writing of 'Big Train'. *bows head in reverence*

I've got it. It's all right. David Mitchell as a farmer is funny.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 4 2008, 6:50 PM BST

Always remember that Mitchell & Webb also had a significant contribution in the writing of 'Big Train'. *bows head in reverence*

How big was it though? And it was in the inferior 2nd series - not that the 2nd series was awful, but it certainly missed the Linehan.

Just watched the first episode, and it was endearingly not shite. No surprise, therefore, that the purveyors of not shite in their early days should go on to better things. A question: from new comedy, should we just be looking for it to be not shite, or to be good? I think if every newcomer sketch show or sitcom came to screen sufficiently not shite then the world would be a better place. It doesn't have to be good, just not shite.

Don't be too scared: I agree.

People have far too high expectations now, I feel.

And re the show, I really enjoyed it. A couple of bits I thought weren't so good, but the farmer in particular was terrific. Very enjoyable.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 4 2008, 8:22 PM BST

How big was it though? And it was in the inferior 2nd series - not that the 2nd series was awful, but it certainly missed the Linehan.

With respect, they also wrote for the superior 1st series.

Just caught up with this. If this is a new show I would probably be dismissing it as shit. Since I now love Mitchell & Webb, there is a bit of a lesson here.