Never Mind The Buzzcocks 2008 Page 5

He has started doing that a lot this series.
Luckily for me I quite like it though.
Kind of bringing a bit of Popworld into Buzzcocks.

Have to say I'd agree with Daniel. I love the first series Amstell did. I prefered him to Lamarr, but Amstell has taken his style and gone a bit over the top with it, the first question is usally 8-10 mins of the show long. I sometimes find some of his rants embarrassing to watch and especially the mini dialogues he has with Phil (e.g the eastern european gangstas, anvils). I can see the show having a series or two before it gets pulled.

Get Lamarr & Bailey back on and I'm sold.

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Aaron Evans @ October 25 2008, 2:47 AM BST

Have to say I'd agree with Daniel. I love the first series Amstell did. I prefered him to Lamarr, but Amstell has taken his style and gone a bit over the top with it, the first question is usally 8-10 mins of the show long. I sometimes find some of his rants embarrassing to watch and especially the mini dialogues he has with Phil (e.g the eastern european gangstas, anvils). I can see the show having a series or two before it gets pulled.

Get Lamarr & Bailey back on and I'm sold.

Edited by Aaron.

Regardless of how you think the quality has dropped the fact is the ratings are at an all time high for Buzzcocks so I don't see it getting pulled any time soon.

As My Family has shown, you can be absolutely terrible but if enough people tune in the BBC will back it.

Quote: Daniel Ryder @ October 19 2008, 12:25 PM BST

The ratings is a tricky subject. If we are to delve into the figures we can't be as black and white as "This shows ratings have improved, therefore the show is better quality than it was", because there is a number of factors that contribute to the ratings. For example, since Amstell took over, BBC have clearly put a lot more effort in promoting the show.

I am not saying that it is not a better show, but nobody can say for definite that it is. I concede, however, that Amstell is much, much more popular than Lamarr was. Even I liked Amstell in his first run as NMTB presenter. I can say with 100% certainty that the mainstream like a celebrity to get a good roasting, which is what the show is built on. Amstell does it at a greater extreme than Lamarr did, which is one of the reasons why he is more popular; he comes across more daring. As I said though, while it is popular, I honestly see it as something harmful to the show. I am not an expert though, so I could be wrong. It is something to think about though.

I joined up so that I could say how much I agree with you, Daniel. If you watch the latest episodes of NMTB, and then watch episode 2 of series 18 (for which Simon Amstell was guest presenter) the difference in quality is hugely noticeable. As a guest presenter, Amstell was much less cock-sure and was more scripted and controlled, and the show was a lot better for it.

It's not that the newer episodes aren't funny, but that previously the show was much more like a quiz. It flowed a lot better, the comedians and guests were more willing to participate and talk and the comedy seemed more natural. Now, guests are bullied and often visibly annoyed at Amstell, Phil Jupitus seems subdued and uninvolved (as did Bill Bailey increasingly in the last series) and Amstell's often contrived attempts to mock unwilling participants drags on. The fun and the friendly competition of the quiz show format is now almost completely lost.

Reading other forums, it really does seem that people like Amstell just because he's nasty to (often not even very) famous people. One person suggested (because he's so abrasive) that he take over Friday Night with Jonathan Ross. Personally, I've never liked that programme (or any chat show) and it's a shame that NMTB is going that way. There are plenty of other formats more suitable to a chat show/interview, and even if the ratings are higher for NMTB, if it keeps going this way we'll have lost a good programme.

I was so disapointed with the last episode. Phill seems to have totally lost heart bless him. I didn't have one laugh during the entire show!

I don't think even Bill can save it now...

Quote: Joseph @ November 1 2008, 7:36 PM BST

I joined up so that I could say how much I agree with you, Daniel. If you watch the latest episodes of NMTB, and then watch episode 2 of series 18 (for which Simon Amstell was guest presenter) the difference in quality is hugely noticeable. As a guest presenter, Amstell was much less cock-sure and was more scripted and controlled, and the show was a lot better for it.

Hi Joseph, thanks for joining - a very intelligent and thoughtful first post! I can certainly see what you mean about the shift in emphasis away from the quiz and towards embarrassing the guests. Personally I find Amstell's conversations with the guests the best bit about the show though (I couldn't care less about the music intros or next lines), so from my point of view its the best its ever been.

Each to their own I suppose.

Richard Herring's on tonight!
Woo and hoo. :)

And Lil Chris...

Do you think everyone gets paid the same amount to appear?

Forget them, Frank Skinner is guest team captain and I can't wait.

He is nothing compared to Lil Chris!...

I don't even know who Lil Chris is lol.

Well, I believe he's a small singer.

Don't quote me on that though.

First episode I've watched in a good few years.

Skinner was ace, Amstell has given the show a new feel. And Richard Herring on was a bonus.

Herring was a bit quiet, I thought.

And did the continuity announcer just say RED Balloon?

Quote: Aaron @ November 13 2008, 9:32 PM GMT

Herring was a bit quiet, I thought.

And did the continuity announcer just say RED Balloon?

Herring was a bit quiet, though according to his blog he made a 'significant contribution'. Some of his stuff must have been cut.

Seeing Herring on telly doing anything is good enough for me. The man is responsible for a hell of a lot, and he (and Lee) both go uncredited.

I'll always think of him as Bean Face. :)