Radio without dialogue

I recently came across a radio play that had been written by Andrew Sachs in 1978 called 'The Revenge'. He used sound effects and no dialogue whatsoever. Would it be possible to do a radio comedy sketch using just sound effects? Or, more importantly would it be funny?

Niche.

I'm finding it hard enough to get my dialogue-y type radio scripts commissioned to be honest!

Dan

I reckon it would be really difficult to write, but awesome if you got it right.

I suppose Wall-E managed (practically) without dialogue for about an hour. And it was really good, until people started talking...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 29 2008, 3:10 PM BST

I suppose Wall-E managed (practically) without dialogue for about an hour. And it was really good, until people started talking...

Dan

Actually, there was dialogue in the first ten minutes with the talking advertising hoardings setting up the premise. And the people started talking about twenty minutes after that if I remember right.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ September 29 2008, 2:47 PM BST

I recently came across a radio play that had been written by Andrew Sachs in 1978 called 'The Revenge'.

I heard of that Sachs play. Would love to hear it. Got a link?

If Sooty and Nigel can't write a dialogue-less radio sketch then no one can. This is your mission if you choose to accept it. This post will self-destruct in ten seconds.

Quote: SlagA @ September 29 2008, 8:15 PM BST

I heard of that Sachs play. Would love to hear it. Got a link?

If Sooty and Nigel can't write a dialogue-less radio sketch then no one can. This is your mission if you choose to accept it. This post will self-destruct in ten seconds.

Checked BBC, not available online at present.
:(

Info here though. http://www.savoyhill.co.uk/technique/revenge.html

Excellent article. Thanks, Nigel.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ 29th September 2008, 6:47 PM BST

I recently came across a radio play that had been written by Andrew Sachs in 1978 called 'The Revenge'. He used sound effects and no dialogue whatsoever. Would it be possible to do a radio comedy sketch using just sound effects? Or, more importantly would it be funny?

I've been thinking about this myself recently.

Quote: Griff @ 29th September 2008, 6:59 PM BST

I reckon it would be really difficult to write, but awesome if you got it right.

He missed one!

I think we need to be realistic here.

If you're a big name in BBC TV comedy, and especially if you're a much-loved big name, you've already cleared most of the hurdles facing a writer who wants to get his 30-minute radio-comedy play commissioned and broadcast on BBC radio.

Had the voiceless play been written by an unknown, it would have stood less chance of survival than an ice-cream in Hell.

Quote: Lee @ 16th September 2015, 7:47 AM BST

He missed one!

Also all his contributions in the Ken Dodd thread remain, probably just for tax purposes.