The Bounder

Anyone seen this Eric Chappell sitcom. When writing 'Only When I Laugh' one of the co-stars of the show Peter Bowles said to Chappell he will only continue with the show if Chapell wrote a show starring him. This was the result. I've never seen it myself, but fancy giving it a go. Has anybody seen it and if so, can they recommend it?

Vaguely remember it, he played George Cole's brother-in-law, is that right? Hadn't realised it was by Eric Chappell. Not one of his more memorable works, but anything by him is worth checking out.

Too right.

Yes, I bought it a couple of months ago. It's one of those shows that is really frustrating, in that you find yourself almost shouting at the TV for one character (George Cole's Trevor) to just put his foot down, to correct people and put things straight, and ultimately to tell Howard (Peter Bowles) to piss off. And yet he doesn't.

Despite that, it is a good show, and very funny. If you like Only When I Laugh, then I'd expect you to enjoy this too.

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 1:24 PM BST

Yes, I bought it a couple of months ago. It's one of those shows that is really frustrating, in that you find yourself almost shouting at the TV for one character (George Cole's Trevor) to just put his foot down, to correct people and put things straight, and ultimately to tell Howard (Peter Bowles) to piss off. And yet he doesn't.

Like Brent and Finch in the Office. But he does, in the end.

I remember this from when I was a kid. I recall not laughing very much.

Yes, going to get it myself soon. Likewise The Other One.

Bought it today and watched the first episode. It was all-right. Bit predictable in places, but had some funny parts to make up for it. Looks a very interesting series. That point you made Aaron about you shouting at the telly, I found myself doing a bit of that and I'm only one episode in. Anyway, looking forward to the remaining thirteen episodes and to match guest appearances from: Garfield Morgan, Sam Kelly, Ken Jones, Tony Steedman, Roy Barraclough, Stephen Grief, Michael Robbins, Frances De La Tour, Robert Dorning and Patricia Brake.

Just watched episode 2- Howard at the Majistic. A cracking episode. I loved Howard's antic with the scrum and the salmon.

Now watched all of the first series, it is really funny. It's been quite a while since I tried a sitcom out I'd never seen before and found myself laughing quite alot each episode. Having not watched the second series yet, from the first series I can say it's a forgotten comedy classic.

Watched every episode now, it is a forgotten comedy masterpiece.

Five posts in a row Jack, an unbroken chain. A thing of beauty. Until now. I've spoiled it. Have to say I've never heard of the show though.

Buy a copy then. ;)

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/RCS/3-/3354300/Product.html]
[h=678239]

With Jack as my sage I have just purchased this. Looking at your Top 100 list I think our tastes are very similar and I recently trusted you on buying Two In Clover to absolutely no regrets so fingers crossed for another success.

Wouldn't mind watching this but I'll not fork out money for something that could be rubbish. Not sure why ITV can't show it on one of theirs. Didn't they recently rerun OWIL? Never seen a glimmer of it in 30 years, which I find odd, with Cole and Bowles being in it.