That Mitchell and Webb Look Page 4

Numberwang, I’m I the only one that thinks laboured on this idea a bit much?

No. I went to the pilot recording back in February, and absolutely cracked up at Numberwang, but the way it's been presented and repeated in the show is just disappointing. :(

Quote: Miranda Walker @ November 29, 2006, 10:58 AM

The only thing was, the vast majority of the sketches were straight from the TV show which was based on the radio show, so this was the third time I'd seen/heard them.

I've read a couple of reviews which have pointed out this was the weakness in the stage show so it's interesting to hear you say it too Miranda.

I guess the problem may be that they are attempting to do a "Little Britain" / "League of Gentlemen" type show in which, for most fans, all they've come to see is the catch phrases repeated again. The trouble is M&W's audience is clearly more sophisticated that that.

I guess it's a hard balancing act between new content and showing off your famous sketches however in this case it sounds like they've got a bit lazy and just repeated their radio show on the stage. :(

Quote: Aaron @ November 30, 2006, 12:23 AM

No. I went to the pilot recording back in February, and absolutely cracked up at Numberwang, but the way it's been presented and repeated in the show is just disappointing. :(

I love Mitchell and Webb, but agree that Numberwang was overdone. As a one off sketch in episode 1 it was brilliant. After that, it didn't really work.

Strangely before the series came on, I'm convinced I read an interview with them, saying that they very rarely repeated material from show to show. Did I dream it?

No, I don't think you did. Shame, that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/tickets/shows/mitchellandwebb.shtml

filming second season now i think.

Series. >_<

I think they actually call it a "series" in the 'States as well, "season" is just the networks term to describe the new season of programming schedules.

Well there you go. Even more proof!

(I'm not sure that is the case personally, but still.)

Watching a comedy called 30 Rock about a producer for a comedy show and they refer to it as a series on there.

Some US series are billed as 'seasons'. e.g. '24, season 2'; 'Friends season 6'.

I personally consider 'series' and 'season' to be interchangable. 'series' being predominantly UK, 'season' predominantly USA.

I tend to use 'series' unless I've already used it once in a sentance in which case 'season' gets a go too.

Can someone, anyone, tell me what's 'funny' about Mitchell and Web? Last night they adapted a Woody Allen sketch which was pretty sad. The one where the member of the audience interupts the sketch thus combining fiction with reality. Numberwang/Wordwang was funny the first time but they couldn't leave it alone, and I cannot believe how an amusing end of term show could make them one of the best double acts in the land.

Thank you and now I'm off for a little lie down before my nipples explode.

Yes, I'm not a fan of this one. I love Peep Show and The Smoking Room, but the sketch show falls flat with me, some okay sketches, but more misses then anything.

I can't help but feeling that Mitchell And Webb watched this before 'creating' Numberwang... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfgRGW9Ghik