Little Britain USA Page 2

Surely Little Britain is one of the most overrated comedies of all time?

Quote: Mark @ September 20 2008, 2:14 PM BST

To be fair to them, the show is mainly aimed at cracking the American market (rather than entertaining us with another series)... and thus all the characters will be new to most of the audience.

I certainly don't blame them for going to America - just look how rich and powerful they became in this country, population 60m - imagine how rich they'd be if they made it in America (population 300m?).

Don't get me wrong. I think they're both very talented, which is why I was so disappointed with Series 3 of LB and Litlle Britain Abroad, and I certainly don't blame them for trying to crack America.

However, Little Britain has been shown in the US already, so the audience they're aiming for will already be aware of the old characters. From what I've seen of the new characters, they look very promising and strong enough not to need the old characters.

Quote: Ian G @ September 21 2008, 8:07 PM BST

However, Little Britain has been shown in the US already, so the audience they're aiming for will already be aware of the old characters.

I think you'd find it's a very select audience who've seen Little Britain. As far as I remember, it wasn't on any major network. Unsurprising, with only 6 episodes a series.

Looks great.

The Mark & Tom gym characters look awful. And neither of them seems able to do a convincing accent... Little Britain - funny 1st series, average 2nd, mediocre from then on.

I just can't see some of the characters going down very well in America. Vicky Pollard will sound like she's speaking a foriegn language, to most Yanks. Also, most of them think us Brits are all personal friends of the Queen, who spend our evenings sitting in smoking jackets, puffing on pipes and reading Shakespeare, so the whole chav thing will just confuse them.

Vicky Pollard sounds like she's speaking a foreign language to most people in the UK.

Quote: Aaron @ September 21 2008, 8:42 PM BST

I think you'd find it's a very select audience who've seen Little Britain. As far as I remember, it wasn't on any major network. Unsurprising, with only 6 episodes a series.

That's true. Aaron. It was shown only on BBC America, but I feel that anyone interested in British comedy would surely have watched this channel and seen the show.

I'll certainly give the show a chance, but if it's simply an exercise in boosting Lucas & Walliams profiles and bank balances, rather than doing something original with the format, I won't be watching it for long.

I'm no expert on American TV but it seems to me that there isn't really a tradition of sketch comedy in the US. And the only shows that feature sketches, like Saturday Night Live, have a topical bent. So I don't think the omens are good that they'll find an audience.

Quote: Ian G @ September 22 2008, 10:55 AM BST

That's true. Aaron. It was shown only on BBC America, but I feel that anyone interested in British comedy would surely have watched this channel and seen the show.

You're absolutely right... but I think Little Britain USA is aimed at the more mainstream audience who haven't seen the original. In fact, I suspect many of the target audience won't have ever seen a British comedy... so it should be interesting.

They'll either be blown away with how different it is from US comedy (I don't think they do many sketch shows for starters - let alone mad ones!), or completely underwhelmed. We'll know next Monday.

Well, if Python managed to find a loyal audience over there...

I imagine L.B.USA will find an audience amongst the teen/college student age group. Just hope they've sat down to write the series with fresh eyes. No-one can doubt they are great performers, just hope they've been inspired in their writing. (Little Britain Abroad still leaves cause for concern over this.)

Quote: chipolata @ September 22 2008, 11:51 AM BST

I'm no expert on American TV but it seems to me that there isn't really a tradition of sketch comedy in the US. And the only shows that feature sketches, like Saturday Night Live, have a topical bent. So I don't think the omens are good that they'll find an audience.

Living in North America I can tell you sketch shows still rack in audiences. Think of the popularity of shows like Dave Chapelle, Mind of Mencia, Blue Collar TV, Mad TV and not to mention the many Canadian sketch shows that are not seen in the US.

Think they will be massively helped by being on HBO where they won't feel so constrained by standards&practises issues. Am also hoping to see some darker characters amongst the new ones.

The American critics haven't been too kind towards it.

I liked it. I thought the majority of it was funny. A few sketches fell flat though like the druggy granny. I laughed a lot at the muscle men sketch though.