Little Britain USA

As Little Britain USA starts in America soon (28th September), and lands on BBC1 just days later (3rd October), it's about time it had a thread...

I hope it is a success, but I'm a bit worried because the final UK episodes (Little Britain Abroad) were really lazy and not up-to-scratch.

That said, producer Simon Fuller is on board for this transatlantic version and the American media, which got see the first episode at a press launch yesterday, have been pretty positive... so perhaps it'll be fine.

There's a four minute preview video on the HBO website... http://www.hbo.com/events/littlebritainusa/

Shouldn't this be in the foreign section?

Quote: chipolata @ September 19 2008, 10:38 AM BST

Shouldn't this be in the foreign section?

Probably. There's quite a debate whether it counts as a British comedy or not. I'd be interested to hear whether people think it's "British" - need to decide whether to cover it on the website or not you see.

Just watched the video... think it might give it a different lease of life. :)

Surely it's British!

I personally think of it as an American show, since it's set in America and I assume they've tried to tailor their stuff to an American market. I feel the same about Flight of the Conchords, which although stars New Zealanders, is set in New York.

Quote: EllieJP @ September 19 2008, 10:47 AM BST

Just watched the video... think it might give it a different lease of life. :)

Surely it's British!

And I've told you before about wandering about in other threads, Ellie. Bugger off back to the General Discussion section. :P

On the subject of this show's nationality, seeing as it's made by HBO for a primarily US audience, it should be in foreign, shouldn't it?

*note to self: don't get involved, get a life*

How many episodes are there in the run?

Quote: chipolata @ September 19 2008, 10:49 AM BST

And I've told you before about wandering about in other threads, Ellie. Bugger off back to the General Discussion section. :P

I can wander if I so should choose.

Okay, I get your points guys... especially as David Schwimmer seems to be directing it...

Quote: EllieJP @ September 19 2008, 11:00 AM BST

Okay, I get your points guys... especially as David Schwimmer seems to be directing it...

Is he? He's very grim nowadays, isn't he? A million miles away from lovable Ross.

Well he's the studio director.

I'm not a big fan at all the "celebrities" they've got involved. Seems to be the only way they're going to break the market though.

Quote: EllieJP @ September 19 2008, 11:10 AM BST

Well he's the studio director.

I'm not a big fan at all the "celebrities" they've got involved. Seems to be the only way they're going to break the market though.

I think it's always a bad sign when an established show has to draft in celebrities when it becomes tired and,for me, Little Britain was over by the end of series 2 anyway.

I've watched the HBO trailer and I think they should have started with completely new characters instead of wheeling out (no pun intended) Lou & Andy, Sebastian and the fat woman yet again.

Quote: Ian G @ September 19 2008, 2:44 PM BST

I've watched the HBO trailer and I think they should have started with completely new characters instead of wheeling out (no pun intended) Lou & Andy, Sebastian and the fat woman yet again.

To be fair to them, the show is mainly aimed at cracking the American market (rather than entertaining us with another series)... and thus all the characters will be new to most of the audience.

I certainly don't blame them for going to America - just look how rich and powerful they became in this country, population 60m - imagine how rich they'd be if they made it in America (population 300m?).

Oh man! I can't wait to see this. It looks super funny. I might get the movie networks just to watch it. Thanks for letting me know about it.

The 3rd series was pretty poor and the Christmas special was a bit hit and miss as well.

If it is half as good as the first series then it will still be very good. Series one was brilliant.

Same old stuff. You can watch some of the sketches on Digital Spy. Same Lou and Andy stuff, same Vicky Pollard stuff (not sure how well that will translate to a US audience)...same Lucas and Walliams stuff. Shame.