Best Last of the Summer Wine

There have been 4 Summer Wine third men. Here they are:

Cyril Blamire (Michael Bates) 1973-1975
Foggy Dewhurst (Brian Wilde) 1976-1985, 1990-1996
Seymour Utterthwaite (Michael Aldridge) 1986-1990
Herbert Truelove (Frank Thornton) 1997-date

Who do you think is the best third man. I can't decide between Cyril and Foggy, but I think I will have to say Foggy.

Does anyone know if Summer Wine has finished now, or is another series planned.

Another series will be along soon. Eric Sykes makes an appearance I believe.

I grew up watching Brian Wilde's performances so he will always be my favourite. All 4 were/are very fine actors though.

Interesting question. And intriguing. Hmmm, hard choice. I'm not an avid fan, but I suppose for me, based on the relatively few episodes which I have seen, it'd be a proverbial toss-up between Brian Wilde and Frank Thornton.

Thanks for the info. It would be great to see the wonderful Eric Sykes appear in an episode.

I like that episode where they go down a hill in a bath tub. :)

Brian Wilde was just an all together likeable man in this and porridge so I’m going for him. Not the funniest show in the world but has its place long live the summer wine.

The theme always reminds of Sunday tea, salmon sandwiches, mum’s home made cakes and tea made in a pot, time for a bath (school tomorrow) Sorry mum no bath tonight Compo f**k off in it again. quiet, dad’s watching the money program.

Where have all the days gone. Errr

Personally, I like Truly the best. And you simply have to respect Frank Thornton for being around for so long. It's amazing to think he was in the waiting room with Tony Hancock in "The Blood Donor".

Quote: Dave @ March 2 2007, 5:22 PM GMT

Personally, I like Truly the best. And you simply have to respect Frank Thornton for being around for so long. It's amazing to think he was in the waiting room with Tony Hancock in "The Blood Donor".

I agree with Dave 100%!

The show had its heyday during Brain Wilde's first stint, so it has to be him. Frank Thornton is a fine actor, but he is working with tired, lazy scripts.

It has to be Brian Wilde for me. I used to love the programme when I was younger but stopped watching after Brian left in 1996. It went downhill from that point (no bathtub pun intended)in my opinion and hasn't recovered since.

T'best series was t'first. It has been suffering a gentle -or should that be genteel? - decline ever since.

Will someone now PLEASE put this sitcom out of its misery? It's been flogged to death worse than 'Allo 'Allo!, which is saying quite something. It is trying, very unsuccessfully, to be t'Archers' of t'TV sitcom world.

Now is t'time for it to rest 'neath the rolling Yorkshire countryside and a headstone in t'shape of a pair of Compo's upturned wellies...

The last itme I watched this Brian Wilde was the third man, so I'd have to say he was the best.

Best one was when the old man fell down the hill.

I only seem to watch the show about once a year, but every time I do, I always think, "Actually, this isn't bad". Put it this way, I'd watch this over Two Pints of Lager any day.

Definitely Brian Wilde for me.

Haven't watched this show since I was a kid (which is some years ago). It's harmless, charming in its own way, and has a loyal audience.

It's not hurting anyone and it's good that older people have a sitcom they can relate to. Would be nice, perhaps, if someone could come up with a new sitcom for the aged. As a group who often see their TV as important company, the elderly aren't really very well catered for overall. I wouldn't mind seeing BBC3 given over to the 68 - 124 year old demographic