Is It Legal?

For anyone who remembers it, what do you think of Is It Legal?? I never saw the original broadcasts (1995-1998, ITV & C4), but caught some repeats on ITV3 last year and haven't looked back. I find it a really enjoyable, genuinely funny show with lots of laugh out loud moments.

It was written by Simon Nye (Men Behaving Badly, etc), and starred Imelda Staunton, Richard Lumsden, Kate Isitt, and Patrick Barlow.

Currently can be found in a double-bill at 10am on Saturday mornings on ITV3, if anyone's interested.

Here's my review from the upcoming ammendment to the BSG guide:

Really a rather good programme, but unfairly, the highly-entertaining first two series have been overshadowed by the third, which although entertaining, lacked the same quality of its predecessors.
Still, we found it really rather enjoyable. If you're not looking for the holes, they won't be especially obvious, and certainly won't compromise the comedy too much.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcoms/is_it_legal.shtml

I thought that this sitcom was really good. And that's remembering back to when it was originally shown. Haven't seen any of the repeats yet but great stuff.

Dan

I liked the show alot, and Kate Isit was gorgeous in it. Incredible to think it went out on ITV1. Oh, and it's nice to see that Aaron watches something other than Midsommer Murders and Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps.

Haha, I rarely watch either, to be honest. Mostly current affairs programmes and whatever's on UKTV Gold.

I thought this show was quite good. It was never brilliant, though I can't help thinking it had the potential to better than it was, but it was well worth watching most episodes.

I disagree with the current review from this site though, I thought the third series was the best. The removal of the partner (Dick I think) who just played golf and drank sherry didn't seem to damage the show at all, in fact it probably made it better. If the show had been allowed to continue, and it had continued at its Series 3 best, I think it could have been one of the better 90s offerings.

Patrick Barlow must be one of the most under-estimated and under-exposed comic geniuses of all time. Always thought he was the one with the meteoric career path ahead of him when I saw him with Jim Broadbent in National Theatre of Brent. I wonder what he's doing now?

More Brent! https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/national_theatre_brent_icons/