ITV Comedy Classics

For those of you interested in ITV sit-com, a new programme starts on ITV1, Tuesday 9th September, 10.35pm. Called simply 'Comedy Classics', it seems to be ITV's take on the BBC's Comedy Connections.

The first episode is looking at 'On the Buses', and features a complete episode.

In future weeks the programme features Rising Damp, Doctor in the House, Brass, Duty Free and New Statesman.

Do you think they'll have the guts to do Love thy Neighbour?

Quote: sootyj @ September 8 2008, 8:05 AM BST

Do you think they'll have the guts to do Love thy Neighbour?

Only if they can find a complete episode to broadcast that they consider relatively inoffensive, I guess.

Ooo, thanks for that john! Looks very interesting. For those who are interested:

DOCUMENTARY: Comedy Classics
On: ITV1
Date: Tuesday 9th September 2008
Time: 22:35 to 23:35

On the Buses.

Series looking at six classic sitcoms and exploring what made them so special. Today's programme features On the Buses, which revolved around loveable bus driver Stan Butler, his down-to-earth family, best friend and work colleague Jack, and their arch enemy, Inspector Blakey. With contributions from writers Ronald Wolfe and Ronald Chesney, actresses Anna Karen and Ursula Mohan, plus June Sarpong, Ian Wright and Wendy Richard. Including the complete episode Brew It Yourself, in which Stan plans on brewing his own beer to save money.

Looks very interesting. About time homage was paid to these criminally underated ITV sitcoms.
Love thy Neighbour, I doubt it. Likewise Curry & Chips.

For some reason, I just can't imagine June Sarpong having watched On The Buses.

Quote: zooo @ September 8 2008, 7:22 PM BST

For some reason, I just can't imagine June Sarpong having watched On The Buses.

I just burst out laughing.

The featured episode 'Brew it Yourself' is an absolute classic. If you haven't seen that particular episode- watch it on Thursday. Includes this classic bit of dialogue:
(Stan has brewed some beer)
OLIVE: I'm going to wash my hair with it. Beer shampoo's very good for your hair
ARTHUR: If you put that stuff in your hair it will fall out
STAN: Is that how you lost yours.

Would be nice to see ITV put the money from this show to better use, i.e. towards creating some new ITV comedy classics.

But anything that gives "Brass" a new audience is fine by me (even though I'll never doff mi cap to a Hardacre)

Badge, are we about to agree on something again?

Don't forget to watch this tonight, culture lovers.

Never seen Brass, though my piano teacher is friends with the writer- John Stevenson.

Get us an interview! :D

Would do - but he's retired. He also wrote alot of episodes of Coronation Street and Nearest And Dearest. Am actually quite glad Brass is coming up. I've never seen it, yet been thinking of getting it on DVD. Hopefully this documentary will make me make up my mind.