Relief From Comic Relief? Page 4

I know this is reviving an old thread here, but an idea has come to me that I just wanted to share with anyone who might care to hear it.

I think most people are in agreement that Comic Relief lost most of its humour when it started getting more celeb centered.

My idea is that the BBC could take the opportunity to take submitted new material from stand-up comics and sitcoms. These could be acted out on stage in front of an audience with minimal backdrop. They then could open up phone lines for the public to vote on which ones they liked.

This would generate money, allow people's work to get aired and act as pilot episodes so that the BBC could see what the public actually might like.

Just a thought, but it's what I'd prefer to see.

Quote: Mutley @ January 6 2013, 4:34 PM GMT

My idea is that the BBC could take the opportunity to take submitted new material from stand up comics and sitcoms. These could be acted out on stage in front of an audience with minimal backdrop. They then could open up phone lines for the public to vote on which ones they liked.

Sounds a bit too competition-ish to me...you vote like you would for "American Idol" or something like that. I don't know if that suits that occasion (raising money for the sick and starving). But maybe you're right. I don't know.

Quote: Mutley @ January 6 2013, 4:34 PM GMT

I know this is reviving an old thread here, but an idea has come to me that I just wanted to share with anyone who might care to hear it.

I think most people are in agreement that Comic Relief lost most of its humour when it started getting more celeb centered.

My idea is that the BBC could take the opportunity to take submitted new material from stand up comics and sitcoms. These could be acted out on stage in front of an audience with minimal backdrop. They then could open up phone lines for the public to vote on which ones they liked.

This would generate money, allow people's work to get aired and act as pilot episodes so that the BBC could see what the public actually might like.

Just a thought, but it's what I'd prefer to see.

So, it's kind of "open season" on new comedy (or at least a programme version of the same).

Get Simon Cowell involved. He's been getting a bit hard up recently...

I also think that when they did Big Brother for Comic Relief it shouldn't have been real. I would have done a completely staged version with comedy characters acting as they would do as housemates.

For example:

Angelos Epithemiou
Lily Savage
Paul Calf
Pauline Calf
Vicky Pollard
Daffyd Thomas
Emily Howard
Lee Nelson

can't think of anymore offhand - but there must be loads

Lou and Andy
Lee Evans
Keith Lemon
David Jason would be good in the BB house.

Wayne and Waynetta.

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 15 2013, 3:43 PM GMT

Wayne and Waynetta.

Too refined for Big Brother, surely?

You could even do a celebrity version with people whose characters are supposed to be famous:

Alan Partridge
Dame Edna Everage
Gayle Tuesday
Theopilus Wildebeest
Des Kay

and any of the guys from Spinal Tap

I hear barrels. Scraping, scraping ever so loudly...

Quote: Mutley @ January 11 2013, 7:59 AM GMT

I also think that when they did Big Brother for Comic Relief it shouldn't have been real. I would have done a completely staged version with comedy characters acting as they would do as housemates

Ricky Gervais did a staged Celebrity Big Brother in Extras. There may legs to a staged reality show, but not CBB...