What are you drinking? Page 169

Right now, brandy and Babycham. About to move on to white wine.

Due to school obligations, angry wives, visiting relatives and deployments to Afghanistan, our neighborhood festivities concluded early and I was home by 7:30 on a Friday night and that's not acceptable. Not at all.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and that means that all my friends will be required to take their wives out for fancy dinners, so that will leave me alone yet again. So my plan is to brew some beer.

I found a recipe for Hop Back's Summer Lightning and I think I'll give it a go. It should go down well now that almost-summer has reared its head. It's a very simple recipe for 11 gallons:

19 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.50 oz Pilgrim - Boil 60.0 min
Whirlfloc Tablet
1.25 oz East Kent Goldings - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz East Kent Golding - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

Have a favourite UK beer that I should try to acquire/brew?

I bought a box of Bath Ales. 4 different ones x 3 of each.

Drinking the "distinctive dark ale" at 4.5%. Quite nice although one of the others wasn't that great.

Hot lime cordial.

I drank a bottle of champagne last night. Decadent, but it is the start of a week's holiday. No more booze for a few days at least though.

Quote: DaButt @ 13th February 2016, 1:49 AM GMT

I found a recipe for Hop Back's Summer Lightning and I think I'll give it a go. It should go down well now that almost-summer has reared its head. It's a very simple recipe for 11 gallons:

19 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.50 oz Pilgrim - Boil 60.0 min
Whirlfloc Tablet
1.25 oz East Kent Goldings - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz East Kent Golding - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min
1.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

Have a favourite UK beer that I should try to acquire/brew?

Summer Lightening was very popular at the ale pubs when Britain had its great ale renaissance in the 90s I recall.

Try Ruddles County, no idea what's in it just a very rustic country ale, a distinctive beer with flavour.

My favourite beer by miles now tho is a US craft beer inspired East Coast IPA by my favourite brewer Greene King. It has lemony US hops which give it a most refreshing zing, I buy at least 4 bottles a go I find it that moorish. Very different to the rich Ruddles.

Trying to shake off a cold with some hot toddies but when I feel better I'm going to paint the town red with some Ladyboys.

White wine

This week I have mostly been drinking Lagunitas IPA.

Quote: sootyj @ 27th March 2016, 11:16 PM BST

This week I have mostly been drinking Lagunitas IPA.

That might have been the first IPA I ever drank. It was at a pub not far from the brewery long before craft beer became "a thing."

Last night my neighbor broke out this tiny bottle from 1992. It was pretty good and definitely the oldest beer I've ever consumed.

Ah, Thomas Hardy Ale!

I've had a few bottles of that over the years. Always takes about an hour to drink and savour. Decent stuff and very strong.

The bottles I've had were only a couple of years old, but I've heard they can last at least 25 years.

Anyway, I'm currently drinking some black coffee. Did I grind the beans myself? Of course!

My sister brought me a bottle of Brew Dogs, Born to Die now that was a fine old beer.

Quote: DaButt @ 15th May 2016, 2:25 AM BST

That might have been the first IPA I ever drank. It was at a pub not far from the brewery long before craft beer became "a thing."

Last night my neighbor broke out this tiny bottle from 1992. It was pretty good and definitely the oldest beer I've ever consumed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thomas-Hardys-Ales-1975-/191869796111?hash=item2cac54bf0f:g:hdMAAOSwHJhXMw9w

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 27th March 2016, 9:10 PM BST

when I feel better I'm going to paint the town red with some Ladyboys.

Sounds fun but what are you drinking? EYETHANGYEWIMHEREALLWEEKDONTFORGETTOTIPYOURWAITRESS

Cherry pepsi max as I've run out of rootbeer.

Had one of these for the first time yesterday, took the sting out of a not very good gig.

Home made Sangria with blood orange instead of normal orange juice